• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wet Weather

Ailstar

Mama Doe
So today's wet weather has brought to my attention that my current run cover is not adequate. My two have been out all day and are nowrather wet. I've brought him in just now to run round the kitchen and dry off, they have a nice little wooden hutch in the run that they could have sat in to stay dry as well but no. Anyway, I feel guilty for sticking them out all day, but I'd also feel guilty if I left them in the hutch. As my mum points out, any cover on the top of the run is going to still cause water to drop down the sides, and it will also blow in the sides. It's not possible for me to connect the run and the hutch. Does anyone have any ideas for how to keep them dry? I really hate the idea of having to shut them up all winter.

Just let them get wet :wave:

It's not mean, as long as they have the option of somewhere dry to go they will be fine. Their coats are amazing, a very bedraggled looking rabbit will likely not be soaked to the skin as the fur is so dense. You can test this after a downpour by parting the fur so you can see the skin, it is very unlikely to even be damp!

In winter it is much better for their health not to be bringing them indoors anyway if they live out. The changes in temperature can lead to them getting poorly!

Prob a silly idea but what about a tent, you could prob get one cheap off ebay and just put it up over the run? Be good for the winter to keep out the cold winds if they are in the run all day as well as the rain :D

It's not mean, as long as they have the option of somewhere dry to go they will be fine. Their coats are amazing, a very bedraggled looking rabbit will likely not be soaked to the skin as the fur is so dense. You can test this after a downpour by parting the fur so you can see the skin, it is very unlikely to even be damp!

In winter it is much better for their health not to be bringing them indoors anyway if they live out. The changes in temperature can lead to them getting poorly!

Really? That makes me feel a lot better! And I just had a quick look at Levi and you are right they aren't as wet as they look. It was the hangdog, 'I'm just sitting in this one position (and not in the nice dry hutch)' in the run that made me think they were miserable. I won't bring them inside when it gets really cold, but I thought it would be ok today since I definitely couldn't sit in the run!!

Hi Ailstar, we just got a quote from the made to measure hutch and run covers eBay man. The quote we got for our 5ft (extra depth and height) double hutch and our 8ftx6.5ftx3ft run was £250 delivered. Quite expensive I think but from other members here, the covers are suppose to be superb. The run covers have a thermal lined top and clear sides which can be rolled up. We're just using a tarp at the moment and like you have the problem of sitting water. Although I have turned the roof panels over yesterday so that it's completely flat, that seems to be working much better.

I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and go for the covers, especially with what's happened to Daisy this week.

This!

When Louie goes out, the back door is always open so he can come in when he likes. Yesterday, he stayed outside for a good hour in the pouring rain and got soaked!

It's as if the fur catches all of the rain, preventing it soaking to the actual skin!

Back