• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay or blankets etc

BeckyJulia

Young Bun
Hey guys I'm really struggling to make a decision on weather to use hay or soft blankets etc in the the bed for my new baby bunnies :s any advice would be greatly appreciated
Also where do you get your soft bedding from?
Thankyou

they will cross over from inside to outside x

But will they live inside or outside? It has to be one or the other really; especially when the weather starts to get colder. You can't let them play outside in the cold if they are used to living in a nice warm house, and vice versa - they can get poorly, and they won't grow a winter coat if they keep changing from a warm to a cold environment.

So, if they are going to live outside, I would use loads of soft hay as bedding, but if they are going to live inside, I would use fleece blankets (but watch them in case they start eating them). You can get really cheap little pet blankets in asda for £1 :wave:

It's best to pick either outside or inside and then stick with it, a swift temperature change going from one to the other can cause health issues and it just isn't pleasant for them.

I have inside bunnies and I use blankets but they've never paid much attention. They're mainly there for my benefit :lol: With outside bunnies the warmth of the bedding is much more important though and the most insulating thing you can use is straw. A lot of people don't like to use that though because the rabbits may start eating that instead of their hay and it's nowhere near good enough, so they just stuff the bed full of more hay. I have used straw in the past myself and mine never tried to eat it so I'd be happy to use that if I had outside rabbits but it is down to you and yours :wave:

Sorry lol this wasn't clear they will b outside for the majority but inside for playtime etc my bf typed the post and i didn't see it to clarify as we both use my account for the forum he hasn't ever had rabbits n was worried that hay wasn't "comfy enough" I have assured him that hay and something like Fitch will be plenary soft enough sorry if anyone panicked lol
Thanks for replying though xxxx

Or I should say inside is our kitchen which is at our back door so the back door will be open and they can come in and out wen pleased :) xx

My two bunnies are outside bunnies. Currently, I'm using straw as bedding for them. I'm using a thin layer of straw in their bedding area but Daisy keeps rearranging everything by pulling the hay from the litter tray and putting it on top of the straw. She keeps doing this even when I've put hay on top of the straw for her when I clean and change the hutch in the morning. Luckily they both still use the litter tray to do their business. My intention for the winter is pretty much the same as now, but just going to add more straw and more hay to keep them nice and snug.

Back