• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Scummy Water Bowls

Schtoffen

Mama Doe
Does anyone else get a build up of non-specific blergh in their bunnies water bowls? Extraordinary that something that only contains water can get so filthy! It feels like limescale but its not the right colour? Any ideas? I've scrubbed and scrubbed but I can never get all of it off!

Yup, mostly its fur/pellet dust/Ginger's fur.

Change water daily and give a quick wipe round each day with a cloth and it should be ok.

Give it a wash with hot soapy water and a scrubbing site of a sponge/scourer thingy should be ok?

Yup, mostly its fur/pellet dust/Ginger's fur.

Change water daily and give a quick wipe round each day with a cloth and it should be ok.

Give it a wash with hot soapy water and a scrubbing site of a sponge/scourer thingy should be ok?

Yeah I did attack it with a scourer but I'm thinking I need to up the anti to some wire wool or something :lol:

I guess it's where the dust dries as the water levels drops? Ted drinks way more than Little which could explain why it doesn't happen on Little's bowl.

Having said that I don't change their water daily so it's probably my fault!

Yeah I did attack it with a scourer but I'm thinking I need to up the anti to some wire wool or something :lol:

I guess it's where the dust dries as the water levels drops? Ted drinks way more than Little which could explain why it doesn't happen on Little's bowl.

I've got into the habit, mainly cos Ginger will drink updwards of a litre of water/day due to her kidneys, so its just part of my daily routine now!

Bunnies should have fresh water at least once a day.

Bunnies should have fresh water at least once a day.

I try to but I often forget, unless there's hay in it or something. I don't really see what harm refreshing once every two days will do them to be honest... I should stop drinking from glasses of water that have been next to my bed since the night before too :lol: :)

Even though I change the bunnies water daily, the bowls do get quite a scaly which is a nightmare.

The water is very 'hard' where I am, so it does not take long for a ceramic bowl to get a rough feeling inside.

Our cat has a water fountain which we have to change regularly and replace the filters more than the recommended time due to the scale build up.

I try to but I often forget, unless there's hay in it or something. I don't really see what harm refreshing once every two days will do them to be honest... I should stop drinking from glasses of water that have been next to my bed since the night before too :lol: :)

I change their water each morning when I clean out their litter trays, same as I change my cats' water bowls each morning when I feed them. I think we should all have fresh water. And no, I don't drink water that's been left by my bed overnight.

Yep, I get it in the bottles too. Even when I clean them out everyday. Best thing I find is milton tablets (same stuff you use to sterilise baby bottles) once every few weeks with boiling water.

I change the buns water every day inside the shed and the outside water every second or third day. They never seem to touch the indoor water but will happily hop outside drink the two or three day old water in the run, then hop back inside for a snooze. Dunno if the outdoor water tastes better or something, but they prefer it. Odd blighters.

I change my rabbit's water twice daily. By morning they have often kicked hay into it, there's fur floating in it, etc. and by night time they finish it and have dirtied it again. You just have to make it part of your routine :thumb: In my case, get up fill Joshua' water and then go downstairs fill Toshi and Paige's water, just do it when you feed him since you'll be bringing food out anyway.

I use 1/4 of a babies sterilizing tablet in each bottle once a week and rinse it out well with cold water after. Did that years ago when we had Guinea pigs and as a control method more recently with Fancy Rats.

Green algae used to start to form over an amount of time because of the reaction between day/sunlight and bacteria that goes back up into the drinking water from the drinker's mouth each time the ball bearing is licked and rotated.

With regular sterilizing the algae doesn't even get chance to form.

It probably is limescale, I find in bowls it seems to be brownish rather than white. I think probably because of the hay as that seems to dye water a nice brown shade when piled in :roll:

Back