• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will this space be enough?

Steph_fuzzy239

Warren Scout
Hey guys

I was just wondering if having a 6x2x2ft hutch with an attached 10x4x2ft run is ok to house a pair of rabbits? Most people on here seem to have really amazing housing but my garden is so small I just don't have the space and this needs to be done for 2 sets of rabbits in the future. Everything is a bit all over the place as two aren't bonded as of yet so everyone is living seperate (well 1 pair and 2 single buns) but this is my goal. Just want to make sure I'm giving the best I can with the space I have. :)

That space sounds fab! They have enough room to hide from bad weather, and a 10ft long run will allow them to run properly. The only thing I'd say is if you can get a 3ft high run instead of 2ft high it allows you to add much more enrichment (things to stand on!) and for them it feels much bigger due to the height. Lots of people have said their bunny didn't binky in their run until they replaced their 2ft high one with a 3ft one. I only mention it because if you're anything like me, you'll always want to improve their accommodation - and that's one of the things I've identified that I would like to improve.

If you put tarpaulin or shower curtains on top of the run to protect them from the rain it means they can use it in all weathers too, so it maximises their space!

yes i agree that it's a great size well done x
i also think that if you are also like me you will want to get a 3ft high run and cover :D :wave:

I'm glad others have suggested a 3ft high run. That was the improvement I thought of - but wondered if I was perhaps being over-fussy! ;)

Sounds great!

Having the hutch sit on top of the run would help maximize the use of the space, if you are having trouble fitting the set-ups into your garden. Bit of an awkward size to have the hutch on top, but it can work with a bit of modification. Or an aviary with the hutch on tall legs inside it.

Thanks guys :) only problem being is that currently I have 2 happy hutch combo so the hutch on top of a 6x4 run which I wanted to extend by the extra 4ft, so I'd only be able to have 3ft high on the extension. Do you think that's better then nothing!? I'd love for it to be all 3ft high, I just spent a lot of money last year on new hutches and runs but hadn't fully thought it all though so looking to improve it all again as best I can.

Thanks guys :) only problem being is that currently I have 2 happy hutch combo so the hutch on top of a 6x4 run which I wanted to extend by the extra 4ft, so I'd only be able to have 3ft high on the extension. Do you think that's better then nothing!? I'd love for it to be all 3ft high, I just spent a lot of money last year on new hutches and runs but hadn't fully thought it all though so looking to improve it all again as best I can.

How handy are you? It may be worth looking at boosting the height yourself, I believe Fluffers did it for one of her hutches using planks and it also made an effective wind-breaker.

How handy are you? It may be worth looking at boosting the height yourself, I believe Fluffers did it for one of her hutches using planks and it also made an effective wind-breaker.

Not handy at all :oops: however I'm willing to give it a try and that sounds like a good idea :thumb:

Back