• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you do with your rabbits in the winter ?

georgiaanna

Young Bun
Hello
In need of some advice, I have 13 rabbits (yes 13) they go out everyday in there run and come in at night. This is my first winter with so many rabbits and I will keep them indoors but I don't know how to still give them a run around? Thank you.

Rabbits are pretty good with the cold. I dont know what your outdoor set up for your 13 (!!!) is, but duvets over hutches and loads of hay to snuggle in plus waterproof covers are all useful. Main thing is that they stay dry and draught free.

What space do you have indoors? I must say I would love my six (yep, only six) to be indoors during the winter. You could set up puppy panel or wood and mesh runs with litter trays and hidey boxes.

Are they all one big group or lots of combinations?

Hope some of this rambling post is helpful!!!

Would love to see pics of them all.

Nothing different accommodation wise. They live in a converted dog kennel which is insulated and protected from the rain. Ill just put a couple of hidey boxes filled with hay/straw and a few snugglesafes heat pads in

13 rabbits is a lot! You must have an enormous garden

This coming winter will be the first with our bunnies, so we're currently in the process of planning for it.

Someone mentioned on here on an older thread, mentioned insulating the outside of the hutch with polystyrene, so we're looking into that at the moment. Anyone else do this? Is it worth it and does it work?

Also we're still currently designing a rain/storm cover for the run and hutch as well. We got a quote from the "eBay man" who makes the made to measure covers but it's expensive at £115 for the hutch. I think it'll be worth it n the end, but still deciding on whether to go for it or not. He's had some very positive comments on here.

Mine are in a shed and all I do in winter is give them a shelter inside stuffed with hay and straw and a snugglesafe on really cold nights. They hardly ever use the shelter and much prefer to lie out in the run in the freezing cold! But they have the option of somewhere warm if they need it. I think the most important thing is that their living area is draught and damp free, as that is what kills them - they tend to cope ok with cold unless they're very young/old or ill

Hello
In need of some advice, I have 13 rabbits (yes 13) they go out everyday in there run and come in at night. This is my first winter with so many rabbits and I will keep them indoors but I don't know how to still give them a run around? Thank you.

when you say come in- do you mean in your house? if they come in the house then its generally considered not too good an idea them going outside in winter as the temperature difference between a nice centrally heated house and a garden can be too much of a shock to the system.

mine have a 10foot greenhouse to run arround when weather poor as although the cold doesn't bother them too much wet does and i don't want rabbits paddling in mud. grass doesn't grow in winter either so it doesn't pay to allow too many onto a lawn or you soon will not have a lawn in winter.
maybe if you have an empty clean oil free garage you could let them have that as a winter play ground ? with suitable toys of course

my own rabbits have a hutch /run combo conected to the greenhouse via a tunnel- i do not provide covers or heaters but do put in a lot of extra hay as bedding. i would worry about air quality if too much ventilation was cut off by covers.

Back