• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Minnie arrived November 2009-21/08/13

MPHF

Alpha Buck
Dearest Mins. This is so much harder than we ever imagined.
I will write more another time when I feel strong enough. I still can't get used to you not here in the living room.
You were so strong and such a fighter. We will always love you and miss you.
I am consumed with grief. X

I hope it's ok for me to post this. MPHF (and daughter) if you want me to delete then let me know (and I'm not going to use your names because I don't know if you wanted them used or not).

Back in about October 2009, at an RSPCA Open Day, a member of staff told me there was a beautiful dutch rabbit in the isolation area, called Minstrell, but she had horrible tooth roots so needed to be PTS. Me and my mum popped into the area and saw the most sleek and beautiful dutch ever.

When I saw MPHF + 1 I told them because they already had a dutch bunny called Minstrell, and I took them in (naughtily) to show them.

I can't remember exactly but a series of errors unfolded, a hilarious series, and the bunny that I was told was Minstrell, was not. It was a brown vienna marked bunny, that, yes, had a massive lump on the side of her face.

MPHF and myself had some speedy discussions and they wanted to, with my support, take her home. So I had to do some fast talking because bunnies with dental issues were not rehomed, let alone a bunny who had such a marked abscess. The wonderful Deputy Manager granted us approval and Minstrell, renamed Minnie, went to her new home on the 7th (?) of November 2009.

She was immediately put on antibiotics and pain relief and thrived. We talked about how she may not live long, but that she could have a great, short blast of live and love with them. So, their aim was to give Minnie palliative care and love and life and let her go out with a bang.

MPHF and her daughter organised a 'Minnie Christmas' for early in December so that Minnie could celebrate a Christmas with them. I loved that. Anyone I talk to about Minnie, I tell them that.

However, Minnie exceeded expectations, by far. I would pop round and visit, take them to the vets, chat with the vet (who I think essentially, eventually considered me part of Minnie's family and talked to me openly about her, as he would with MPHF and daughter). Minnie's abscess was controlled and her painw as controlled, she gained weight, got glossy fur and thrived!

She formed a very special bond with MPHF's daughter and she lived in the living room, the hub of all life.

Over the following years MPHF and her daughter worked wonderful miracles on Minnie. Every so often I would be 'called in' for vet trips (important ones, like when we managed to convince our vet to use Penicillin in a rabbit for the first time- and that shrunk her abscess right down), or would see her randomly. They received a Magic Dressing Gown blanket and Minnie and her family loved that.

Minnie was a very intuitive bunny and was really good at scaring MPHF and her daughter- like if MPHF's mum was ill, Minnie would be off, if the routine was different, Minnie would be off, if MPHF or her daughter was stress, Minnie would be off.

About a week ago Minnie went downhill, and MPHF and her daugher sought out a vet appointment with our most trusted vet. He adviced about increasing all pain relief and seeing how she went. Minnie temporarily responded and then dropped right down. MPHF kept in clear contact with me and decided that it was time to let Minnie go.

On the way there I made sure to know exactly what MPHF and her daughter wanted from Minnie's passing and then made sure it was stuck to.

At 7.15 on Wednesday the 21st August 2013, nearly 4 years after we pulled her off death row, I cradled Minnie as she peacefully went to sleep.

Minnie was a hero. She was just amazing. And so were her family.

Minnie is the only rabbit with special needs that has been a success. Others have been PTS or come back to me. I always made it known Minnie had a space at mine if MPHF needed someone else to take her on, so they always had backup, but right the way through, they kept her, looked after her and did absolutely everything they could- including asking for help when it was needed.

They have earned my eternal respect for all they did for Minnie and I am so glad I took that risk and placed the trust in them to give Minnie that opportunity.

She has left a massive hole in their home, but the love she gave and her memories will always live on. She was given her love and her life and she took hold of every moment and loved every moment. She got her happy ending.

It was a priviledge to know Minnie, to help her to her home, to help her thrive and to cuddle her as she left.

Minnie, you were loved by so many people and we are ALL so proud of you, and we miss you lots.

Go and find Gizmo, Go and find Floppy, Go and find Toffee and Nuggett. And make sure to come and visit MPHF and her daughter :)

Love always gorgeous.

x

Such a sad loss but you gave her a fantastic life when she would otherwise never have known love. You did a truely wonderful thing for minnie and i'm sure she knows that. :love:

I'm sorry for your loss. Minnie's story is amazing, well done for giving giving her the best possible life.

Binky free Minnie. xx

Thank you everyone.

I just wanted to write a few bits to Minnie.

Hi Mins,

You really fought hard for all the time you were with us and I don't think you could fight anymore. I do feel now that we got the timing spot on. I also strongly believe that you wanted to go as I was due an operation on my right hand and I wouldn't have been able to give you your daily meds and Grandma would have had to come round and she would have tried but I think you would mess her about and be the diva that you were. I had my hand done yesterday and it is sore so I thank you. I also believe that you went because you wanted us to bond Harley and Fleur. We have now done this and they are absolutely beautifl together. It took my mind away from the grief to become a positive.
Hannah went back to Uni on Sunday. The room seems very empty now but once Harley and Fleurs bond is secure then they can come in with me.

You taught me so much. How to syringe and inject. And what a joy it was to look after you, you Diva.
Remember on Britains got talent? The man on the xylophone? You were so funny, you ran around stamping.:lol: and so many times I took you to see Charles the vet thinking it was your time, but it never was.

Forever in my heart. Special needs Buns are amazing. Love you.xxxx

It's been a year since you've been gone and I am still so cut up about it. If I have to say your name I want to cry and find it so hard to hear others say your name. The greif is still raw. My room is still so empty even though Harley and Fleur have their cage open they don't often come in. I miss doing your meds and being close to you, to feel your heart beat and warmth. I wish you were still here with me but it was your time, you had fought long enough. We all miss you.

Love you Minnie Moo forever and always.xxxxxxxxx

Hey Mins.

I didn't forget. Hannah and I went to London to the Proms.
I was thinking of you, as I always am'
Can't believe it's another year.
Minstrel and Penguin are both eight now and Harley will be ten in November.
And we don't know about Fleury.
Hope you are having fun up there sweet pea,
Love you, forever in my heart. Xxxxxxxxx

Another year has passed.
The pain is still here with me.
Love and miss you loads.xxxxxx

Back