• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Welded mesh

Sam and Truffs

Mama Doe
I'm getting really confused! They guy who is coming to help us convert the shed/build the run has had a change of plan and is now coming tomorrow, so I don't have time to get things sent. I need to find wire mesh at a local store. They seem to have something at Wickes but it isn't described in the same way as I've seen it described elsewhere- is this the correct thing I'm looking for? http://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/187727

We firstly had mesh from rolls like this, but it wasn't strong enough for what we needed, so we bought individual panels, but we got them from a local supplier :)

That looks like the stuff :) Weld mesh it mesh that's welded at the joints not twisted around each other, you'll find it easier to see in the shop. The size of the holes looks fine. It doesn't give the weight (thickness of the wire) but standard for runs is 19g (it will probably say on the packet) or 16g if you want really tough stuff.

We used this for our run...

http://www.meshdirect.co.uk/Wire-Mesh-13mm-x-25mm-19g.html

Bought 30 metres (3ft high) for just over £53.

It's the same mesh as in the hutch and seems adequate enough.

The company is local to us and I was able to collect it from them.

I have well over half left over if your local to Stone.

I'm not, but thankyou for the very kind offer, and thanks everyone who has helped. There's so much to think about and we're in such a hurry to get them out of the chicken coop and into somewhere more spacious that it's giving me a bit of a headache!

Is this timber OK for building the run? http://www.wickes.co.uk/sawn-treated-softwood/invt/107061/

Depends on the construction. I think that's about the size for panels, but if you are building it in one piece you could go for slightly bigger on the uprights. Might be worth checking with the chap building it.

When I did mine, I use chunkier square pieces for the uprights and then flatter pieces for the side bars - if that helps :)

When I did mine, I use chunkier square pieces for the uprights and then flatter pieces for the side bars - if that helps :)

Yes, it's all helpful as I don't have a clue what I'm doing. I didn't expect to be doing this at all up to Thursday last week, LOL!

Here's a list of what I'm going to tell my handyman I'd like done. If anyone can bear to read it, it would be helpful if you could see anything I've forgotten.

In shed:
Board walls with marine plywood, and insulate with foil covered bubblewrap or polystyrene.
Put down lino (which hasn't arrived yet) and put strips of wood around the edges.
Secure the door and possibly make it into a stable door.
Build a lockable mesh door inside.
Mesh the windows (undecided whether to leave some of the perspex).
Make rain shutters for the windows using marine ply and wooden toggles.
Fix solar light.
Fix lockable cat flap.
Fix hay holders to wall (Ikea carrier bag holders).
Put up a high shelf.
Make hideyhole on the loft level.
Board and insulate roof?
Fix hook onto door to secure it open.
Attach large water bottle to shed.

For aviary run:
Build frame and door attached to the shed (9 * 6 feet). Back of the run to be solid wood of some sort.
Mesh the frame.
Make roof either from ply and roofing felt or corrugated plastic - if plastic put reflective material under.
Put kickboards around bottom of run.
Put up some kind of rain cover using PVC.
Attach trellis around the bottom front of the run to obscure view of Willow and Nettle from Samantha and Truffles who can get spooked.

That sounds fine :) Perhaps have a look at some pictures on line of the sort of run/setups you're aiming for. I'm sure you've got lots of ideas in your head but he might never have seen that sort of accommodation before so it might help to have some example photos to show him.

For the aviary, think about the door - does it go all the way to the bottom/top or if there a lip at the bottom? If you look at aviary door panels online you'll see some have a sort of 6" section you step over than helps keep the bunny in. And where on the aviary do you want it!

I'd ask specifically for the mesh to be on the inside of the aviary (looks much nice and stops chewing). What does the aviary back on to? If it's a wall you could use that as the fourth side. Don't forget, if you're supplying parts you'll need a bold for that door - look in the garden gate section.

Corrugated roofing plastic roofing would probably work best, board on it's own will rot quite quickly, particularly if it's flat. I think you can get that in opaque, but you could go for clear so you'll get plenty of light and then just throw some shade netting over in summer. Tbh, you don't really need plastic on the run sides too - it's got two solid walls (back and shed) plus a covered roof - that will keep it pretty dry. You could get the roof to overhang 6" and that will keep out virtually all the rain. A little bit of weather is okay when they've got a whole shed to go in if they want :)

Good ideas, thanks Tamsin.
It doesn't back onto a solid surface hence the solid wall. I'll definitely ask for the roof overhang.
Re. the doors, I've seen pictures of the lips at the bottom but I don't think they would stop a giant jumping out unless they were quite high, and my knee replacements don't have a big enough bend for that. If they have a habit of trying to get out the door I might need some kind of secondary puppy pen system. It's beginning to sound a bit like Alcatraz.

I'm not, but thankyou for the very kind offer, and thanks everyone who has helped. There's so much to think about and we're in such a hurry to get them out of the chicken coop and into somewhere more spacious that it's giving me a bit of a headache!

Is this timber OK for building the run? http://www.wickes.co.uk/sawn-treated-softwood/invt/107061/

We built this just over a week ago...

DSC_2689_zps9f78710d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

We used 2" x 2" tanalised timber if that helps.

Back