• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Covering decking for run?

You may find that the decking gets mouldy/stained underneath from it not being able to breathe.

It might work okay, it depends on whether they chew it or not. Mine would :roll: but then they would also have chewed through the decking by now too!

Thanks.

I thought I'd read somewhere that wire were not good for the rabbit's feet. I think the droppings would still fall into the grooves which is what I'm trying to prevent to make cleaning a little easier.

Rubber matting would work very well, I was going to recommend that.

Some people on here have unfortunately found their bunnies have broken their toes on decking due to the design of it.

Does your decking have an airflow underneath and little gaps between the decks? That would help prevent mould/rot. Try to flip it back once in a while to allow the wood to breathe properly, or alternatively line it with some waterproof membrane or shower curtain type material.

You're right, wire isn't good for bunnies feet.

I was thinking about it being less slippery! But good point about wire not being good for rabbits feet. Perhaps you could cover the decking with lino as people do in sheds and hutches for easy cleaning...

I was thinking about it being less slippery! But good point about wire not being good for rabbits feet. Perhaps you could cover the decking with lino as people do in sheds and hutches for easy cleaning...

I did think of lino at first which we have in the hutch. In terms of it being slippery, would the lino be more slippery than the rubber matting? Just thought the rubber matting would be better as it would be less slippery when it's wet, as the hutch is generally dry 99% of the time so it remains quite grippy for them still.

Any opinion on this?

Back