• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Converting a shed for 2 Giants - Pics post 7

Sam and Truffs

Mama Doe
What a day. We are shortly to be proud parents to the 2 Contis Parsnipbun is rescuing from their sardine tin (see thread in Rabbit Chat), and while I spent half the day thinking about buying a shed combo, I then realised we have a perfectly good ex-playhouse next to the rabbit hutch, albeit full of stuff.
Presuming we can find somewhere for that stuff, we're going to convert it. I was going to wait and post pics asking for advice, but I realised I have a very busy day tomorrow with guests here and I'm probably not going to get round to picture taking.
So this is the playhouse we have - imagine it blue, without the veranda and without any stairs in so there is a just a half 2nd level with railings on it.
http://www.summergardenbuildings.co.uk/products/playhouses/wood-childs-playhouses-240741.html
Luckily we have only just repainted it and fixed it, and it had a new roof last year.

I'm going to scrutinise the outdoor housing thread when I have a moment, but bearing in mind I need to make up something quickly for these girls, I need to think what can I put in the shed, how I stop them getting out of the door as soon as it's opened, and what kind of run I can attach to it. At the moment I don't have anything that would be suitable to do that, so I'll need to buy it.
I guess I'll need to put lino down. Also, the shed gets very hot so I'll need to swap the perspex windows for mesh I think. I imagine it gets pretty cold in winter but I'll have to deal with that later.
All ideas greatly appreciated, especially as I'm a giant bun novice.

Last edited:
Depending on what kind of exercise they had (if any!) then a playhouse would be a good start for a transition into space, we did the same with Leo as he was squashed up in his old hutch too. Give bunnies too much space too soon and I believe it can cause some damage :( (Sorry if you already knew that!)

I'd probably just lino it, get one of those garden tray things as a litter tray for them (low at the front and big enough for giant buns) some toys, big water bowl, loads of hay and I'd leave it like that for a bit while they settle in :)

I don't know though.. so you might just want to ignore me:lol:

We have a stable door to prevent our buns running out when we need to get in. We are also able to leave the top half open in hot weather if necessary.

I would think about the windows. Our windows (top to bottom almost in the kennel/run area) are mesh but we put Perspex over most of it, leaving a section for ventilation. The rain can drive in otherwise.

Perhaps if I get someone to come and build an aviary attached to it I can get them to do something to the door. I shall have to think what to do about the windows, but it definitely needs more ventilation.
I'm sure you're right about building up exercise gradually.

Perhaps if I get someone to come and build an aviary attached to it I can get them to do something to the door. I shall have to think what to do about the windows, but it definitely needs more ventilation.
I'm sure you're right about building up exercise gradually.

This is what I did. I made an inner mesh door so we leave the main door open all day and it is full ventilated but buns can't get out and then we shut it at night. It seemed easier to do that than make a stable door as we still would've needed the top covered to prevent cats or foxes jumping in! :shock:
We then have fly mesh over this door too.
I didn't take the windows out as my door is three foot long so it would've been too open - depends on how big your shed is. Mine is a summer house. I have put those car baby shade things on my windows ( you can buy them off Ebay for a couple of quid) and we have painted the shed and roof 'cream tea' to reflect the light, plus it looks nicer than brown! We have a theomometer in there too to easily keep an eye on temps. On the run ( my husband built specially so it's three foot high which is a must for giants) has bamboo on the top to provide shading and again, it doesn't look unsightly.
I have bought my rabbits many toys over the years and by far the favourite for my giants is always the big boring cardboard box! :lol:
I have given them hidey holes etc in the past and found they prefer to just lie stretched out flat on the lino.
We also have those huge seed trays for litter trays, anything else is too small and big dog water bowls. I found some huge pottery tunnels from a timber yard.
That's all I can think of for now... :)

Thanks, that's really helpful I shall take all those points on board. Love the idea of bamboo on top too.
I was lying in bed last night wondering what to do about the back of the run. It's at the back of the (small) garden, but there is no fence there. For years there was a huge laurel hedge but the people opposite cut most of it down. When we got our buns we put chicken wire there in case of accidental escapes. I'd like to build the run over the whole patio, full aviary height, but am wondering what to do about rain cover at the back, as I won't be able to access it.

Wonderful. Such a gorgeous blue colour. Lucky rabbits. Cant wait to see pics of them in their new home x

Lucky bunnies! How are they settling in? I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to take on some giants, though the pics I've seen are so cute :)

Well they are niggling at each other a lot so I will be glad when they have more space and are neutered! I can't interact with them well at the moment as there's no space in the chicken coop and as soon as you open the door they want to get out. They're very strong! Fingers crossed by the end of next week the shed will be done and they can move in.

Hiya :wave:

This is a lovely thread starting with Parsnipbun then on to you :love:

The playhouse you have is fabulous. Do you find that it is water tight as a rule? I ask as my hutch leaked and I was really disappointed in it.

We are looking at using our garage to house our 7 buns but I am a bit concerned about whether is it quite big enough. Something like your playhouse would be a possibility for 2 of mine outside of the garage.

Ta

x

Hi! :wave: No the playhouse has never leaked, and it's about 7 years' old now. It did have new roof felt last year as that had got a bit worn away, and we fixed a gap at the bottom a few months ago, but otherwise it has been fine. It was only this year that we decided the children didn't use it anymore, took the stairs out and moved all our stuff in. Now we've moved it all out again!
Work on it starts today, although I think it will be a bit sporadic but hopefully by the end of next week it will be done.

Hiya :wave:

This is a lovely thread starting with Parsnipbun then on to you :love:

The playhouse you have is fabulous. Do you find that it is water tight as a rule? I ask as my hutch leaked and I was really disappointed in it.

We are looking at using our garage to house our 7 buns but I am a bit concerned about whether is it quite big enough. Something like your playhouse would be a possibility for 2 of mine outside of the garage.

Ta

x

Back