• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hutch help please

sarattie

Alpha Buck
I have 2 buns which I have in a secure garden who live in a 3 story 6ft ryedale hutch
While the quality of the hutch is fab. I dont like the levels as the ramp takes up valuable space.

I have recently moved the hutch into a better space and thr doors are open during the day so they have the run of the garden and usually take themswlves home at bedtime.

I wpuls like to buy a better hitch for them. Perhaps 2 tier but talller levels looking about 7x3 ft

I dont have a fortune to spend as I spent the fortube on the ryedale I dont like!

I have found some places who can make one but they arent local and deluvery is huge (im in Berkshire)

Any suggestions please! Ready built or local custom but not too pricey

Thanks

Didn't want to read and not reply but mine are most likely too pricey.

What above a very large run so they get 24/7 accesses then the hutch is just a place to shelter?

my first thought was to attach a very large run aswell. you can get some that are sheltered on one end and sides aswell.

you could always somehow put a less expensive hutch next to this one, and make a hole through so they can access both. maybe access through a hole to another hutch with run underneath? something like that?

i know the free range thing is a big debate but i think a big run and then supervised free range time would be better. i know some people are prepared to take the risk for the buns to have more time out, but with some of the things i have read recently, i just would hate for anything bad to happen to your buns. :(

Didn't want to read and not reply but mine are most likely too pricey.

What above a very large run so they get 24/7 accesses then the hutch is just a place to shelter?

I thought obvious this, adding a run to the side but that would over double the space they are in and I can't use that much of the garden up (it's not massive and we have 2 children and chickens!!

I would rather replace with a better square foot hutch as they do get daily access to the rest of the garden anyway, it's just holidays and snowdsys etc
I am thinking 7x3' and whatever height as that's not really important, I can go as tall as I can reach!

just thought - uk rabbit hutches make custom orders and aren't too far (essex i think) - the prices are good and delivery wasn't that much if i remember rightly. they sent me an aviary from them to manchester, so much further, and i remember thinking delivery was very good price wise. although can't remember what it was :roll:

Back