• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Using Newspaper as hutch lining

Ailstar

Mama Doe
Hi, what are people's opinions about using newspaper to line a hutch, I started off doing it mainly to protect the floor, and also because it makes cleaning out quicker since I could lift out the majority of the bedding with the newspaper. But Levi likes to shred it which in itself wasn't a problem, it was more that I couldn't be sure he wasn't eating it (which I'd read is bad for buns) so I didn't line the hutch this week, but now Levi is just chewing other things, cardboard tubes, loo rolls etc) so really I'm just wondering if the newspaper is such a bad thing?

I used to use newspaper, but with white bits on my buns is never ended well :lol:

It's only really the dye that's harmful, blank newspaper (or amazon packing paper) is fine as long as they're not eating loads and it's just a bit that gets swallowed while chewing.

Also, have you got lots of wooden things to chew, I find my two only turn to paper (apart from their shredded paper which they love to rip and dig) if I've not replaced their wooden block. :oops:

Is there anything on top of the paper? Covering it with loads of hay might help; also eating paper often means they are craving fibre. :wave:

Thanks for the help, I don't actually think he really eats a lot (if any) but he definitely likes ripping it up. I only really stopped because I was worried that IF he was eating it even in small amounts) it was going to make him ill. But from what you are saying I should be ok to continue using it.

And yes, they have plenty of wooden toys to chew on, newspaper ripping just seems a favourite pastime, they spend all day in their run at the moment so only have access to the newspaper at night.

One of mine doesn't really feel she's done her duty until she's ripped all the newspaper up. She likes to start redecorating as soon as I've put fresh stuff in. They have every chew toy/stick/lump of wood known to man but nothing stops her.

Hiya :wave:

I use newspaper in the hutch and trays etc. My buns love to rip it to shreds and roll in it. They have the occasional nibble but don't eat a lot of it. I find that it makes cleaning quicker and as I am cleaning out litter trays at 6 a.m. before I go to work. I do the same when I get in and it does help.

I use newspaper in the litter tray, but then put plenty of hay over it. He tries to eat it and shred it if it's covering his whole floor, so I stopped doing this, but he seems fine with it just in his litter tray.

I line the hutches with cardboard then put litter trays with newspaper, megazorb (or similar) then hay. They do eventually chew the cardboard but its easy (and cheap) to replace and I dont reakon they eat it.

Ooh the cardboard might be an idea, though my two are still learning to use the litter tray and are a bit hit and miss at the moment so I might wait till they are more reliable before I try that. Thanks. :)

Back