• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

7x5ft space, what to do with it? Aviary advice please.

bunnylover1995

Alpha Buck
So, I though I'd decided on a design, but the feedback wasn't very positive :?

I have just cleared a 7x5ft area on which to put the bunnies but this is the hutch and run area, and I'm not sure how to make the most of it, but anything will be better then their current 6x2x4 (hutch and underrun) which I'm getting rid of as it's falling to bits.

The area is sheltered on almost three sides, fully on the left and back and 4ft on the right so they will still get sun but they will be able to escape it and will have shelter from the rain/snow etc.

Here are my (really badly drawn) options...

Option 1) a corner hutch with removable perspex or mesh run roof, and a door to step in more easily

Option 2) a two tier hutch with third tier underrun (so I don't need a kickboard, it's got an open bottom) which attaches to a removable, fold-able (for easy cleaning/hutch access) run to make a 7x5 run
(the yellow bits are hinges, and the khaki rectangles are litter boards, which regardless of which hutch I get, I'll include)

Option 3) [the least likely to be honest] a 7x5 shed, with either mesh or perspex (or mixture) front window and raised hutch inside

Option 4) 7x2x2 hutch with 7x5x3 underrun (I didn't draw this one:lol:)

Which one looks best, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Also, I'm thinking of getting a low shed base/decking area of the same size, to put the set-up on, with bunny safe flowers/ grass boxes which I can interchange, as I don't want to put them on grass. I could just use a paved area, but I think this will provide better drainage for the run when it rains. Does anyone have any experience with anything like this?

Last edited:
Personally, I would go for a 7x5' aviary - you'll find access so much easier if you aren't removing lids/climbing in the run to access hutches. Aviaries look much more open than sheds so not such a big impact on the garden. Then go for a hutch on legs so they have plenty of room underneath. I have a 7'5' aviary and deliberately got one with no cross bars as it's partially in front of the window. It's great as you don't notice it like you would a shed.

You could basically go for 1 if you wanted, but I'd be tempted to have the long side hutch and the short side just as a shelf.

Personally, I would go for a 7x5' aviary - you'll find access so much easier if you aren't removing lids/climbing in the run to access hutches. Aviaries look much more open than sheds so not such a big impact on the garden. Then go for a hutch on legs so they have plenty of room underneath. I have a 7'5' aviary and deliberately got one with no cross bars as it's partially in front of the window. It's great as you don't notice it like you would a shed.

You could basically go for 1 if you wanted, but I'd be tempted to have the long side hutch and the short side just as a shelf.

I did think of an aviary, but I'm not sure how easy they are to construct... :/

I think my favourite is the first one, I was going to have the long side as an enclosed area and the short side as a 3ft bedding area. That way they actually have their 6ft of recommended hopping space (1ft will be taken by the ramp hole) rather than 4ft and 2ft of bedding, like most 6ft hutches have :)

I will look in to aviaries further though... a little food for thought... :D

Aviaries are just as easy as a run :) You usually build panels, and then join them together. If you google 'aviary panels' you'll see some examples :)

On option one, you don't even really need a full aviary, just raise the light blue square that's the top of the run, to level or slightly taller than the top of the hutches (depending how tall you are). I think you'll fine it so much easier for access.

yes i think aviary is the best option. It will look nicer than a shed, and you could have a smaller hutch inside for the bunnies to snuggle up in. I think it would also be easier to construct than a shed. You can also easily walk inside it to clean out the hutch and spend time with the bunnies!

It's better to have a roof as I will keep out predators. You could also put some corrugated roofing sheets on I to keep everything dry.

It only need to be tall enough for you so just build it to head height plus a little bit. You make the roof in panel sections usually too so it's just fixing it together try trying to mesh stuff on tip toe ;)

Can anyone recommend some good aviary companies, I just got quoted £600 for a 7x5x6 :shock::shock::shock:

I did get a £200 quote, but they only sold 3 and 4ft hutches on their site (stating that a 4x4x18in hutch with underun is deluxe)

Last edited:
I was thinking of putting the hutch bit from option one in a 7x5 aviary, but how would I get a 3ft high ramp that's not like 30ft long?

Can anyone recommend some good aviary companies, I just got quoted £600 for a 7x5x6 :shock::shock::shock:

I did get a £200 quote, but they only sold 3 and 4ft hutches on their site (stating that a 4x4x18in hutch with underun is deluxe)

My rabbit shed and the inside has cost over £1000 :?

What's the best way to attach it to the floor, I'm going to lay some flagstones down so they're not on the bare earth and so they can't dig out, but I don't know how to secure it :?

Back