• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Should I put the little hutch in the shed?

FuzzyBunyons

Young Bun
I had a little hutch laying around in the garden for years. Its a little under 3 foot by about a foot. So I thought I'd tidy it up and pop it in the new shed which is 4 by 4. I'm not too sure though, it takes up a bit of room. But it does provide them with an extra self on top and a hidey hole inside.

The legs are going to be removed to make it lower and the bars are going to be covered up to make a bit more concealed.

I don't know whether to have it under a shelf and have a bit more floor room. But it would be harder for the bunnies to get through to the runaround tunnel.

Or...

I can have it against the back wall, so they have and extra shelf to sit on, but a little less floor space and they can get to their tunnel easier.

Or...

I can just throw it on the scrap heap where it belongs.

This is what the hutch looks like. The picture was awkward as I didn't have much room, hope its okay.
dl0p.png

And this is how much room there is left after I push it against the wall. The towel is there to prevent my cat coming in though the hole we've cut. He's a little rascal, I tell you.

liz7.png

And another bad picture of how much floor space they have. Again I had no room and I had no idea what I was taking with the camera. I had it pressed against the roof. :D

r9hx.png

I think somewhere that is not there would be best, as they may crash into it if they come through the hole at speed. I'd keep it though, as come winter you'll want somewhere cosy for them.

Mine are in a 6x4 ft shed with a 3ft hutch at the far end, it provides a bolt hole for them and in winter I put a cardboard box in full of straw for extra warmth. Mine love it and it also means if I need to catch them they run into it and I can get them:oops:

I would extend the legs and put in a step so the floor of the hutch is above the hole, that way they'll run in underneath it and floor space won't be compromised.

Thanks for all the reply's guys. They really helped!

I'm keeping the little hutch and I had a brain wave thanks to bunnylovers suggestion.

I'm going to put it on top of the shelf. With its legs off so that the bunnies still have the whole of the bottom of the shed to play in.

I'm going to put a rug ontop of the little shed so if they ever figure out how to use their back legs and jump then they have another level to sit on. :)

Back