• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Finally decided on a hutch, opinions please UD changed my mind

bunnylover1995

Alpha Buck
So I've badly drawn the (almost) final design for my hutch ;)

I've decided that I'm just going to keep with my two rabbits rather than get a third, and reduce the length by one foot so it fits between the fence posts so the run can be deeper.

The hutch is 3 tier, bottom tier being an underrun, it's 7ft long, each floor is 2ft high and 2ft deep with two 2x2x2 bedding areas, and an enclosed middle floor (with possible side mesh pannel in the middle of the two floors for ventilation, or I might have just a small strip of mesh which I can cover over, instead, although I haven't ruled out mesh door on the right). It will also have removable ramps for easy cleaning with flip-over wood bits to protect the connections.

The removable run (with detachable solid roof, will probably have 2 interchangeable mesh pannels for nice weather) will be 7x3x2 but will be permanently attached (except when cleaning) so will take the run size to 7x5x2, with 2ft on each side and the front being mesh, as I think shelter is the most important thing here, because we have a big garden they're completely exposed. The top floor will also have 6in slide out pannels to catch the litter so it doesn't fall out through the mesh , I might do this on all the doors, so when I open them I don't get poop everywhere :lol:

It will also all be lino'd (is that a word?)

So yeah, that's it, just going to talk through the last mesh/no-mesh bits with the 'rents, send off for some quotes, pick the best and then construction begins :D

I know it's not perfect, but it's a huge improvement on what they have now, and I hope it gets the RU seal of approval ;)

Last edited:
I'd be worried about the weight, how are you planning to support the two tiers on top?

I built my three tier hutch from scratch

image_zpsd2464727.jpg

I built my three tier hutch from scratch

image_zpsd2464727.jpg

looks fab :D but these two will be sat on a run, presumably there is no support on the bottom except for whatever the run is built from ?? ie it could start to sag with the weight which wouldn't be ideal!

I'd also worry about it being a bit dark in there. I have a mesh run but have clear roof panels on the top and have made clear PVC windows for the sides so they have plenty of shelter but still have plenty of light. The added bonus is that you can still see them.

I think the weight may be an issue as solid wood will be much heavier than the mesh panels shown in the above example.

I'm going to swap in a couple more wire panels for natural light, and there will be lights in there for nighttime. The hutch is just a 3 tier hutch, and I've never seen one of those collapse/fall over ;) the run will be attached with drop-bolts and removed when cleaning :)

It's basically this ryedale hutch

7-foot-wide-triple-rabbit-hutch.jpg

but it's taller with extra doors, a run which attaches to the front and smaller legs :)

Sketch110141538_zps73deeb78.jpg

Improved design...

Basically the same just more mesh

Any better?

Bottom wooden panel fold upwards to open run space further

Yellow lines indicate hinges

Last edited:
You'll need either a platform/bottom for the run to raise it so it is level with the hutch or you'll need to block off the space under the hutch, or you'll have bunny escapees.

If you want a whole level that is wooden panels, I say go for it, but make it the top section, so there is only a draught from below not above and below. Ask the builder, they will know about weight etc, but I think people's concern before was because it looked like it was sitting on the run, not a triple hutch.

Bear in mind that, with access to the front of the hutch from their run, the buns will probably chew the hutch, especially the doors.

Might be easier to have the hutch face away from the run, as then you don't have to climb in the run every time you want to get to the hutch. This may help with the chewing too... they could have a cat flap into the run.

Personally, just an idea, but if I was going to get a custom hutch made I would have one sleeping area and it would be at least 3ft long but would have a smaller removable sleeping box inside that they can also jump on top of. This would create a warmer bed and also allow you to insulate it by packing hay/straw around the box as well. I'd also have custom shutters made for the wire doors.

You'll need either a platform/bottom for the run to raise it so it is level with the hutch or you'll need to block off the space under the hutch, or you'll have bunny escapees.

If you want a whole level that is wooden panels, I say go for it, but make it the top section, so there is only a draught from below not above and below. Ask the builder, they will know about weight etc, but I think people's concern before was because it looked like it was sitting on the run, not a triple hutch.

Bear in mind that, with access to the front of the hutch from their run, the buns will probably chew the hutch, especially the doors.

Might be easier to have the hutch face away from the run, as then you don't have to climb in the run every time you want to get to the hutch. This may help with the chewing too... they could have a cat flap into the run.

Personally, just an idea, but if I was going to get a custom hutch made I would have one sleeping area and it would be at least 3ft long but would have a smaller removable sleeping box inside that they can also jump on top of. This would create a warmer bed and also allow you to insulate it by packing hay/straw around the box as well. I'd also have custom shutters made for the wire doors.

I've asked a carpenter friend of mine, he said both looked fine.

The hutch has an underrun so it's all on the same level, and will have wire wrapped around and stapled to all the exposed wood in the run.

The run is removable, and I don't mind climbing in, my garden set up doesn't allow for the run at the back, as it will prevent access to the run, as it will be between a wall and a shed :lol::lol:

I thought of having a larger sleeping area, but it would give them less hopping space, plus they're fairly small buns and also, I need two, as sometimes they're stroppy madams and want their own space, but the shelf is a good idea :thumb:

I'll consider shutters, but I think I'll just go for a custom hutch cover.

Thank you :D

The second one is much better, the only thing I would change is to have the three covered doors on the hutch in line with each other - this is purely as I think it looks more asthetically pleasing, especially if you later decided to sell it.

We used extra strong cabin hooks to attach our run to the hutch so we could move it out the way for cleaning.

You can get them to build a kick board for the run to block access under the hutch.

I can't have the doors in a line, it needs to fold up, but frankly I don't care about selling, as I'm going to need it for a good 6 years yet.

And there is no bottom to the hutch, so I don't need a kickboard :)

Back