• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

back legs collapsing?

coco1200

Warren Veteran
Ever since I adopted my trio, Aspen (grey californian) seems to have this hind leg problem :?

It's as if she runs funnily and sometimes when she is grooming herself or just standing there, her back legs give way and she tumbles over? All have been vacc, neutered and wormed too. I think it's difficult to explain how she does it without taking a video to be honest.

However she is the happiest bunny I have seen, binkies around the garden everyday without fail, can jump and run no problem and is eating/pooing fine (she is the greediest bunny I have ever met).

However it's just this back leg that I am thinking about and wondering if it's serious. I've not taken her to the vet because it's obvious she's not in pain from it and it's not affecting her, but I think a check with the vet would be better just as a precautionary.

I know as you do to that rabbits don't usually show pain and not eating or moving about is quite often the first signs of pain but Calis that are extra greedy seem to be very determined rabbits, not much will slow down their eating and they will find anyway possible to get to food. It does sound like something must be wrong with Aspens leg but she could just be determined not to let it stop her.

This is how Julie is. She figures out a way to get around even if it is belly crawling now without the use of their legs she uses her head to move about and teeth to get food out of her reach. She also still ate with teeth problems just started choking because she was unable to chew properly but never stopped gobbling.

I would love to see more pictures of the trio.

I think a vet check would be a very good idea. Even if she's not showing signs of it bothering her. Rabbits hide their pain from us so well.

When bailey was a baby he had difficulty balancing, he would move and binky like a normally bunny but would often tumble when peri scoping or grooming. My vet felt it was neurological. We actually panacured him as a precaution and whether it was that or it just improved as he got older I don't know but he is pretty normal now.

I think you should go to a vet, just to get it checked out. I have been reading a lot about EC since Mushroom got diagnosed with it, and one of the early signs are the left hind leg giving way every now and then. I am not saying it is EC, it might be a small sprain or strain! But I think a vet checkup would be a good idea.

I'd definitely go to the vet, I had to have Frosty PTS earlier this year due to hind leg collapsing which then progressed so badly he couldn't hop about anymore and got miserable. Makes me think it was now EC as Ghostie has now got a severe headtilt and typical symptoms of EC....

Back