• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Insulating the shed

We used space blanket, but I wouldn't recommend that or any other type of 'cotton wool' looking insulation that's in rolls. It was really rather hard to attach, even with a staplegun, and I've found it's pushed the outside boards out a bit. I'd definitely go for some of the polystyrene or other type of board insulation. :D

We used space blanket, but I wouldn't recommend that or any other type of 'cotton wool' looking insulation that's in rolls. It was really rather hard to attach, even with a staplegun, and I've found it's pushed the outside boards out a bit. I'd definitely go for some of the polystyrene or other type of board insulation. :D

Thanks! Did you find that the space blanket made a difference at all? We're just looking at different options ATM. On a tight budget :oops:

I've literally just insulated my kennel, and I used polystyrene insulation boards from B and Q. They were £6 each for an 8ft by 4ft piece. I only ended up needing 5 for the whole kennel so it was good value really :)

I've literally just insulated my kennel, and I used polystyrene insulation boards from B and Q. They were £6 each for an 8ft by 4ft piece. I only ended up needing 5 for the whole kennel so it was good value really :)

Did you need to put anything on top eg ply? Could be a good option...

We used the silver stuff that's like tin foil on one side and polystyrene on the other, its on like a wallpaper roll and its used for behind radiators to reflect heat. then we put loft flooring sheets over it but only two rows high which is about 5ft so the rabbits couldn't get to the insulation and we didn't have to start cutting the sheets into awkward angles to go round the shed.

This sort of shows what we did it was work in progress before painting the shed and attaching the aviay

Thanks! Did you find that the space blanket made a difference at all? We're just looking at different options ATM. On a tight budget :oops:

It definitely made a difference :D We packed it very tightly and fully boarded over the sides and ceiling, it's definitely helped.

It definitely made a difference :D We packed it very tightly and fully boarded over the sides and ceiling, it's definitely helped.

ooh thanks, the pics are definitely helpful :D I'm going to drag OH to Wickes and B&Q today to have a look :lol:

Oh yes with all insulation it needs boarding over too, that's the most expensive part

We used this plastic damp proof sheeting stuff first:

305735_366142303506398_1601708621_n.jpg

Then the silver bubble wrap stuff:

374657_366142340173061_2121539771_n.jpg

Then boarded over:

377297_366147820172513_2084826555_n.jpg

Thanks! Did you only insulate your roof then, rather than the walls?

We did the walls and the ceiling, except the one wall on the left that has the windows and cat flaps. The pens are attached to that wall too, so it would have been tricky insulating around them without leaving lots of edges that could be nibbled.

Back