• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Was litter trained but not now!

BobbyDaisy

Warren Scout
I took on a pair of rabbits, brother and sister, who are now separated until neutered. They were both very quick to litter train but since separation the girl will not use her litter tray for anything other than for digging or sleeping in! I put it in the corner where she was toileting but she just digs out all the litter till its empty and sleeps in it! But this now means she will pee anywhere she likes. How can I retrain her?

That's natural when they haven't been neutered. You can keep trying but you probably won't have much luck if she is going anywhere. She'll settle down a few weeks after neutering.

I have a similar question. Bojangles almost always uses her little box to pee in (she does decide that my house needs some urine elsewhere sometimes.) But, she will poop by the front door many times. I don't understand why she does this. She poops in her little box as well, but always by the front door in a pile. Is this a way of telling others that this is her domain?

I have a similar question. Bojangles almost always uses her little box to pee in (she does decide that my house needs some urine elsewhere sometimes.) But, she will poop by the front door many times. I don't understand why she does this. She poops in her little box as well, but always by the front door in a pile. Is this a way of telling others that this is her domain?

Pretty much, yes. It may stop if you get her neutered, if she isn't already. If she is neutered, she likely either feels insecure about her territory in some way (strange smells, other rabbits etc) or is just a bit territorial.

She is spayed. I live in an apartment building and there is always a lot of movement from the other tenants. Could this be her way for telling the others she lives here?

She is spayed. I live in an apartment building and there is always a lot of movement from the other tenants. Could this be her way for telling the others she lives here?

Sort of. It sounds like she is marking the boundary of her territory, basically saying 'this is where my territory begins, back off'. The thing is, there will be lots of unfamiliar noises and smells she can hear/smell through the front door, and that is where people go in and out, so it is the most insecure part of her territory, the part she most needs to label as hers with a big pile of poo :lol:

You could try keeping her away from the door for a while and vinegaring where the poos are, to see if that breaks the habit.

Back