• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies using sleeping area as toilet

sueny

Warren Scout
We are new to owning rabbits and have done lots of research into rabbits before making the decision to have them as our family pets.

We have two mini lop sisters, Pip and Daisy. They have decided to use the 'sleeping area' as their toilet so I have put the litter tray in there for them and generally, they do tend to use it. My only concern is where will they sleep, and in particular when it's cold. They have a wooden log hide on the same floor and a couple of tubes on the lower floor, all of which they use during the day.

Will this be enough for them? Or do I need to move the litter tray out of the 'sleeping area' so they can use it in colder weather?

Thanks.

Hiya and Welcome....!,!

Generally, bunnies poo where they eat so perhaps move their litter/hay tray to the "non sleeping area' and remove the hay from the bed area to see if they use it "appropriately".. You can use white vinegar diluted to get rid of the 'wee' scent......

Its hit and miss, mine generally sleep on fleece vet mats or on the cold slabs... Just depends on their mood.. Have never seen them sleeping in their litter trays....

Good luck.. I am sure more experienced owners will be along soon...

Cheers
Fee x

mine all like a private toilet and insist same as yours on using the 'sleeping' area . last winter was pretty vile and I was concerned about them sleeping in the more open areas but they had choice--they had a runarround tunnel to greenhouse with another hay padded hutch and the upstairs sleeping area of their main hutch also. they chose to sleep in the more open section and were fine. I did put very generous amounts of hay in so it was pretty cosy .

Back