• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Leaving rabbit alone for 4 and a half days.

I argued with my friend about not taking my rabbit with me on vacation, she was bringing her dog. But, as my friend pointed out, there would be a lot of people there. Bo came from an abusive home as is not real comfortable with people yet, especially men. She finally ate for the vet when she was hungry enough. I will be boarding her in December/January for a week because I am going home for the holidays. I would bring her with me, but you will not believe the hassle it is to take a rabbit from Korea to the States; not worth it for a week. She will be going with me in March when I go home for two months though.

I know we all disagree with the OP but having people say the exact same thing 20 times over makes people less likely to come back on and post again.

If you have nothing new to add to the post then I suggest people don't add anything else for fear of intimidating the OP and reducing the likelihood of our advice actually being taken in to account.

I think the message has been clearly put across. Leaving a rabbit alone for 4 days is not acceptable.

I argued with my friend about not taking my rabbit with me on vacation, she was bringing her dog. But, as my friend pointed out, there would be a lot of people there. Bo came from an abusive home as is not real comfortable with people yet, especially men. She finally ate for the vet when she was hungry enough. I will be boarding her in December/January for a week because I am going home for the holidays. I would bring her with me, but you will not believe the hassle it is to take a rabbit from Korea to the States; not worth it for a week. She will be going with me in March when I go home for two months though.

to be honest Unless you were permanantly moving to the states I don't think its fair to inflict two flights on your bunny.
The stress of flying could kill her.

Op hope you manage to sort some sort of boarding out, I dread to think all that could go wrong in four days.
as someone said before if a child would not be left for that time then it's the same for an animal.

Whereabouts are you? There may be someone who can check on them for you or take them for a few days. I wouldn't mind spending a few hours a day with someone's buns in sheffield for example xxx

to be honest Unless you were permanantly moving to the states I don't think its fair to inflict two flights on your bunny.
The stress of flying could kill her.

Op hope you manage to sort some sort of boarding out, I dread to think all that could go wrong in four days.
as someone said before if a child would not be left for that time then it's the same for an animal.

I don't know if I am even going home in March. We will have to see what comes to pass. I know some airlines will let me have her in the cabin with me.

I don't know if I am even going home in March. We will have to see what comes to pass. I know some airlines will let me have her in the cabin with me.

I just worry about the air pressure in the plane in the cabin or below, it would be very stressful and could stop her eating which would result in stasis.
Just had a look there and seen that it can be as long as 12-14 hrs depending where you are leaving from and going to.

That in my book is a definate no. Just imagine how terrified bunny would be, and you can't give them sedatives like you would a dog to calm them down.

I think it would be a good idea to look at alternatives that mean your bunny can stay at home or boarded and be happy and safe :)

I hope the op who was going on holiday has managed to sort something out for their bunny.

I had the same problem as you a while ago when I went on holiday for 5 days
I didn't want to give them to a boarding place as it was so expensive, and unless they had millions of workers, i din't think that my bunny would get much attention. But they are expensive, so... maybe they are good... :?

In the end my Dad didn't go on holiday with us and stayed at home and looked after Fluffs
I felt quite guilty but he said he had work to do, and he shouldn't be going anyway. :(

This has been mentioned a few times - why don't you get a neighbour or close friend to come every day and stay with your bun for a few hours, give food, hay water and strokies, maybe let him run round somewhere for a while, and come back again later in the day?

i know it's not ideal but you should have holidays too!!!

:wave:

The Rabbit Welfare Association did a good article in this summer issue regarding Boarding and Pet Sitting and gave great tips on what owners need to look out for to ensure their little treasures are looked after properly whilst away.

Its really important to ensure who ever you trust with your bunnies is bunny savy in terms of health - Pet Sitters can sometimes be very savy with dogs and cats but not have good knowledge of bunny health - I can speak first hand as I am currently pet sitting for my neighbours two bunnies - I've been visiting them 3 to 4 times a day and yesterday noticed one of them looked like she has statis symptoms - she was off to the vets in no time to be checked and today is much better:D - a neighbour without bunny experience may not have noticed.

The two bunnies have now gone on their own holiday - lol - to my place so I can keep a watchful eye on them to ensure the little girlie bun continues her recovery and she is fighting fit for when her mum and dad returns from hols.:D

I think you can get back issues of the RWA Magazines so well worth it if you need guidance on Boarding and Pet Sitter Pros and Cons.

I just wouldn't go away and when I had my 3 pets I accepted that, I couldn't trust anyone with my pets, especially now two are ageing

That's a cool little feeder though....perhaps this could be the solution to my 6am wake-up calls on a Sunday morning! :lol:

Back