• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Runaround problem...

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Just wondered if anyone else has experienced this or has any advice... Summer seems to have 'gone off' the runaround pipe! Originally my runaround pipe went from hutch to run and came out onto a platform so not too steep as the hutch is above the run. This was all fine and the bunnies had no probs with it. Then a few weeks back, I made an old hutch into a shelter for the run and replaced the platform with this, and the pipe came out onto the floor so was a bit steeper, and although the bunnies were fine with it, when they came down it sounded like they were sliding down :shock: so I put steps up to the shelter roof and moved the pipe onto top of shelter... Hope u r following!! So I was thinking its less steep, should be much better for them... Skye used it straight away and after a bit of investigation she just uses it as she did before, however, Summer appears not to have used it since! That was on Monday and its now Friday. Obviously I'm not there all the time to see, but when Skye's out, she would usually be out and she never is. The other day Skye was out at tea time so I put their pellets outside as I do sometimes but Summer didn't go down, so I picked some dandelions, carrot tops etc to tempt her, but still no (Skye got a good feast that night!) I pretended I wanted to pick her up in the hutch :oops: as this usually makes her run straight down the tube, which she did but only half way where she stayed wedged til it was safe to back up :roll: Why do u think she suddenly has a problem? Has anyone else changed it and had issues? There should be no probs with the angle or anything, and obviously Skye is fine using it. She's not ill, she's eating fine etc in the hutch and is her normal self. Any ideas?? I'm worried I've made too many changes and made her anxious :(

Is there any support for the pipe? It sounds like it goes from raised hutch to a high bit of run, so I imagine it is sort of hanging between the two? I wonder if it swings a bit, or feels wobbly to her as she goes through? If that's the case can you put something in the centre under the pipe to rest it on?

Is there any support for the pipe? It sounds like it goes from raised hutch to a high bit of run, so I imagine it is sort of hanging between the two? I wonder if it swings a bit, or feels wobbly to her as she goes through? If that's the case can you put something in the centre under the pipe to rest it on?

It's been like this since they've had it tho and its never been a problem before. If anything it should be better now as its less steep and less of a turning angle. I just don't get it! I could try and make some kind of support maybe in case that is the problem. Skye was out again this morning waiting for breakfast but not Summer so I had to feed them in hutch!

Is it that she maybe a bit disorientated?

My Brownie will sulk for days when i change things around. I have to keep everything the same or he gets funny. They had a new hutch and for six days he never left the upstairs part. I tried food and treats on the ramp. Put carpet on it for more grip. No he wasn't shifting. It took me lifting him down to the bottom in the end. He then went back up and have had no problems since.

Have you tried putting her in the run?

So that she'll go up the tube herself?

When I first got my two, they'd never seen a ramp before, so wouldn't go down it, I put them in the run, and put food at the top of the ramp, and once they felt safe going up it, the were more encouraged to go down it, now they whizz up and down any kind of ramp... including me when I'm bending over :lol::lol:

Thanks for the replies :wave: its weird cos when it was brand new they were up and down it in no time but now all that's changed is the angle and how it turns and how steep it is, but only slightly, and last time I made a change she wasn't bothered at all! Maybe she just needs more time. I put carrot tops and dandelions and nasturtiums at the bottom the other day, all of which r strong smelling and should get her attention but she didn't go down :( I may try putting her in the run but don't want to stress her by picking her up then if she is a bit anxious because its different she might get too stressed.

Sounds strange - maybe she just doesn't want to go outside? I think if it was me I'd pick her up and pop her in the run - if she really doesn't wanna be in the run she'll go straight back up. Then hopefully she'll realise it's not that scary, and possibly use it a bit more? Then if she's still not doing it, I'd pop her in her run once or twice a day to encourage her to remember how to use the pipe.

N&T's changes a lot and is quite steep at the top, but doesn't bother them one bit. That's why I'm thinking possibly it's the fact she doesn't wanna be in the run!

Sounds strange - maybe she just doesn't want to go outside? I think if it was me I'd pick her up and pop her in the run - if she really doesn't wanna be in the run she'll go straight back up. Then hopefully she'll realise it's not that scary, and possibly use it a bit more? Then if she's still not doing it, I'd pop her in her run once or twice a day to encourage her to remember how to use the pipe.

N&T's changes a lot and is quite steep at the top, but doesn't bother them one bit. That's why I'm thinking possibly it's the fact she doesn't wanna be in the run!

Hmm they don't spend loads of time in the run but usually at a couple of points in the day they'll both be out, especially if its fine weather at feeding time, I usually feed them outside so even if they're in they'll both come out for their food! If it was steeper I would understand but I did it so it would be less steep! And I think Skye is spending less time out too as if Summer doesn't join her she goes back in, prob wondering what Summer is doing staying in the hutch! I will see how she goes tomorrow, and if she's still not been out I'll put her out and see if that works!

Hmm they don't spend loads of time in the run but usually at a couple of points in the day they'll both be out, especially if its fine weather at feeding time, I usually feed them outside so even if they're in they'll both come out for their food! If it was steeper I would understand but I did it so it would be less steep! And I think Skye is spending less time out too as if Summer doesn't join her she goes back in, prob wondering what Summer is doing staying in the hutch! I will see how she goes tomorrow, and if she's still not been out I'll put her out and see if that works!

Hmm, how weird! :lol: bunnies never make sense!

Hmm, how weird! :lol: bunnies never make sense!

:lol: nope!! I thought she was going to go for it earlier, Skye was out so I gave her a bit of breadstick so Summer would hear her crunching :lol: she sat at the opening of the pipe looking miffed that she was missing something but still didn't go down! Might have to buy some fenugreek crunchies tomorrow!! They've not had them for a while so that might do the trick :lol:

Back