• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Phantom Pregnancy in Spayed Doe U/D Post 8

Cari

Warren Veteran
28 days ago I posted a thread about Ellie pulling her fur out in great big clumps and had made what appeared to be a nest in my jumper. It was agreed it was probably stress due to being ill as we've been fighting this awful jaw and facial abcess for the past two months.

However. Today she has done exactly the same thing. She's pulling out huge clumps of fur and as I sit watching her now she's started digging and pulling up the carpet and is arranging it all in a wash basket. I can see her nipples, they're pink and large.

20130725_103929_zps8ad436ec.jpg

20130725_101347_zps02f4ecfa.jpg

She's lunging and growling at Stephen and I and she won't let me anywhere near her (especially after I looked at her tummy...).

I think it's a phantom pregnancy but I don't know why, nor do I know how to help her. :(

Please help my baby girl. Coincidentally I do have a vets appointment for her today for a post operative check.

Last edited:
It does sound like a phantom.
hopefully the vets will be more help than me, I only know what I had to do when angel had her phantom before she was spayed.

And that was just to let it work its way out her system xxxx

Pixie pulls her fur and makes nest, she goes through episodes and then it doesnt happen for a while. Im not sure why, she is quite a nervous bun in that she's flighty and grunty and humps peter when im around, im never sure if that has anything to do with it. I dont really see why it would but it all just seems to 'fit' in together, the fact she's perhaps a tad stressed by life in general (bless her).

On the other hand she loves a nose rub and will climb on my knee so maybe im completely wrong, I think I connect the two because of what appears to be 'anxious humping' as I call it.

Is Ellie generally laid back or quite up-tight? As you say, could be the stress of bring poorly bless her.

Could be the result of some ovarian/uterine tissue being left behind when she was spayed

How old is she and when was she spayed?

She gets very stressed and wound up if something upsets her but is usually ok and quite relaxed. :?

She's 1 year 5 months, spayed before she came to me in October but previous owners didn't know exactly when, but no previous litters etc. I've had her 10 months and it's only these last 2 that she's done this.

Vet says "stress". :?

Are you 100% sure she has been spayed?

Though I'm sure it does happen to neutered females, might be the stress and warm weather?

I can't ever be sure, previous owners didn't pass on vet information so I have no record of her spay. The only 'proof' I have is the accidental meeting between her and Stephen before his neuter and no pregnancy and that she's been with us so long now and this has only just started?

Ellie has done this again this month. The last time was when I posted this thread initially and I just don't understand. She's making a nest in a box of hay, which she won't let me disturb. :? Help.

I wonder if she wasn't spayed, or wasn't spayed properly? I've no idea if there is any way of checking :oops: unless you can find out her vet history via the previous owners :? Have you spoken to your vets about it?

I've spoken to the vets about it and she says there's no way to tell whether or not she's been spayed fully apart from to open her up and check. :? They can shave her stomach and check for a scar but she thought it was stress related. I don't know what's made her stressed to do it though.

Don't know about her spay, previous owners said she had been when they handed her in.

It certainly doesn't seem like she has been spayed and as she is only young the previous owners would have had a pretty good idea when she had been done. It isn't something you lose track of. I.ve got about 30 spayed does and none of them do that. Good luck with what you decide

I've spoken to the vets about it and she says there's no way to tell whether or not she's been spayed fully apart from to open her up and check. :? They can shave her stomach and check for a scar but she thought it was stress related. I don't know what's made her stressed to do it though.

Don't know about her spay, previous owners said she had been when they handed her in.

The Vet could do a blood test to check her hormone levels and also to check for any other abnormalities.

When I adopted her they said "the previous owners have no reason to lie about it" and they said she'd been done. It's true I suppose, there wouldn't have been any point in them lying but that doesn't mean they haven't. :? I have no way of contacting her previous owners to find out.

I've never had a female rabbit before so I don't know what to do. I'll have to take her back to the vets but I don't want them to just say it's stress again.

I think the only way they can tell is to open her up. I used to work at a vets and that was ythe protocol for dogs and rabbits

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

There is tests to find out if they are spayed or if any uterine tissue was left behind. It involves a series of blood tests through out the day. The first is taken as a baseline. Then an injection is given to stimulate any uterine tissue present. Then further blood tests taken to compare hormone levels with the base line. Its then sent to the lab and takes around two weeks for the results. The cost for us was just under £100.

Hope this helps x

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Back