• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stress Free way to move a house bun?

JacquiM

New Kit
We've finally sold the house and just in the process of finalising our purchase so looks like we are on the move soon:D

Does anyone have any advice for a stress free move for Snow? She's not really one for being outside, so we've never bought her a proper run (that's a purchase for the new house), and she'd probably not appreciate being left in the portable run but we can't really have her getting underfoot whilst we are moving out the furniture etc. we did think about just leaving her in her hutch indoors but weren't sure if that would stress her out with everything going on around her

Also when we get to the new house is it best to just let her run around the whole house or introduce her to a room at a time till she gets used to the place? New house is all carpets - not looking forward to a certain bun trying to eat them all :lol:

I've moved house with buns a couple of times, and what I've always done is move the buns first, before the rest of the house. When I've moved them I've tended to restrict their free range space to start with to give them time to get used to the new smells etc, I've taken the buns over to the new place the morning of the move, or a few days before when I was able to stay there with them, and then they don't get in the way with all the hassle of moving day. Then once you start moving in the furniture, keep them in one room, in their cage, preferably a bedroom so it's more quiet, until everything's in and settled. It's not ideal in terms of exercise but it's only one day, two at worst.

That's my approach anyway, and I've done three relatively hassle free bunny moves in the last three years. Good luck!

I would restrict her to start with. Take a 'dirty' litter tray with you (it will make her feel at home as her scent will be there). Don't be tempted to renew everything for her at the same time, old chewed up toys etc. will all carry her scent and make her feel at home, the same on cleaning, don't do a big spring clean on her hutch at the same time as the move.

I've always sent my buns on holiday for a few days, and then collected them when we were relatively straight, and been able to spend time with them getting them settled in.

When we moved I left Louie until last, moving him room to room as each one was cleared.

I let him have use of the whole of the new house as soon as we had moved in.

Hiya, I just moved house about a month ago, and we left the buns until last, and waited until everything was set up in the new house before we moved them, that way they just went from one home to the next. We did have a big 6x3 indoor run for them, so we just put them in there until we were ready to move, and then boxed 'em up and moved them into the run in the new house!

As for letting them free range, definitely one room at a time! A whole house might be a little overwhelming, and it gives them a chance to roam (read: chin!) everything in one room at a time as they go.

I hope it goes as stress free for you and bun as possible...I know a move is a massive hassle! :roll:

Thanks guys, brilliant advice from you all. She's such a nosey sod I was worried how she'd cope in a big new house as the last thing we'd want to do is have her all stressed out with so much to see and try to eat lol. She's got some blankets she sits on in the lounge as we've got wooden floors at the moment, but I'll maybe keep hold of those so she has that scent when she's in a new room.
Would love to send her away for a few days whilst we move but she sulks terribly if we leave her overnight - she's quite happy to be left during the day when we have work but god forbid you mess with her normal schedule lol.

I have moved apartments once with Bo. In South Korea, English teachers are always getting shuffled around. I hated the apartment and area I was in when I first got Bo. It was very dark and had a lot of places where she could hide and get hurt. I really restricted her to where she could go and I think that annoyed the little baby bun. There was a lot of black mold in the place as well and I kept her in her cage when I sprayed bleach to kill it because I was scared she was going to get hurt. She really hated that. I got offered a better job an hour away and moved. She hated the moving van (she was in her carrier next to me and I kept petting her.) When we got here, as soon as the moving man left, I let her out of her carrier to explore. She liked this place immediately. I let her run freely because there are not as many places for her to get hurt (only one place she is not allowed in and that is blocked with a big door.) There is a huge window and it lets in a lot of natural light and she likes to lay on the bed and look out the window at times. Her cage is placed where she can see my bed easily, so she can see me at night. And her cage is right under the air conditioner so she stays cool on these hot humid summer days.

I've always sent my buns on holiday for a few days, and then collected them when we were relatively straight, and been able to spend time with them getting them settled in.

Yes - I'd suggest a few days boarding too.
Easier if you can pack & unpack without buns around.
Also less stress Snow to pick up on that way.

Well just coming up to 4 months since the move and it's been pretty problem free :) still have a bit of an issue with her trying to eat the wooden skirting boards when she thinks your're not watching or using her teeth to open the doors. Tried using some bitter apple stuff but she seemed to just lick it off the wood lol
Think I might have to invest in an animal hair Hoover though as the carpets just seem to attract fur

Back