• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Nails

Bunnie

Warren Scout
I have a new bunny, she is living in a cage until she has had her vaccinations and then living in an outside hutch. she doesn't like it when I pick her up so I can't cut her nails and there is no wood in her cage to wear them down so what can I do about her long nails?

I take my boos to the vet a few times a year to keep on top of them. It only costs around £10 and keeps them comfy. They hate going but they love having new shoes! Probably the only option if yours are like mine and would rather break their own backs than allow you to do it.

Here is a video to help you clip the bunnies nails. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYk4_xYYrPk In order to get bunny to calm down and do the bunny trance, sit in the floor with legs in front *like in video* with bunny calmly stroke them, then bunny in front of you 1.) make a peace sign with one hand, your index finger and middle finger should make a Y shape. 2.) Place bunnies ears in the space between your Y/peace sign fingers. Rest your thumb next to pointer finger allow rest of fingers to rest on back of bunnies head behind the ears, firmly but gently grasp the ears this way. 2.) Using your free hand, smooth down bunnies back, and in a fluid motion scoop bunnies backside under while firmly but gently grasping the ears as detailed. This is a secure gentle way to put bunny on its back. 3.) lay the rabbit in your lap belly up *you can secure head gently also by placing ears between your thighs *works better on long ear bunnies* What I just described is in this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zPeolhLiPk This is a more secure hold for bunnies who are frightened and it is how Vets are taught to turn a rabbit over.

Please don't trance your bunny, I know it seems like they are relaxed but it's been shown to cause them extreme stress.

^ I have heard this too, I wouldn't feel comfortable making them feel so vulnerable. Not very good for getting a new bun to trust you.

I also want to emphasis don't trance your bunny, vets in the UK and other places warn against doing it unless in emergencies as it puts unnecessary stress on the rabbits.
You could try wrapping him in a towel so he feels more secure and then take one paw out at a time. Reward with treats so it doesn't seem like a bad situation. If you still have difficulty then some people combine vet check-ups with bunny nail clipping.

One of the things you need to watch is that the bunny is getting enough exercise. Bunnies should get time in a run at least 8' by 4' for the majority of the day every day, preferably attached to their hutch permanently (although mine have a 6' two tier hutch and free range for 16 hours a day). When you put your bunny outside you can place the run on paving slabs in order to allow the rabbit time to wear down it's claws naturally. Exercise time out of the hutch is essential and should keep his nails down after you move him outside.

Good luck! Let us know how you get on :)

I also agree with not trancing your bunny. My rabbits have short nails as they have their run partly on concrete. If they need them trimmed at all, ask your vet. your vet will help with this, and check them over for you too. :)

Today I sat with her on my lap or the first time and she was fine after a while she fell asleep! So she seems to be less scared now. I am taking her to the vet soon to get her vaccinations and might ask the vet to have a look at her nails. My sister use to have raties so she know how to cut pet nails I might ask her to help.

:D

Today I sat with her on my lap or the first time and she was fine after a while she fell asleep! So she seems to be less scared now. I am taking her to the vet soon to get her vaccinations and might ask the vet to have a look at her nails. My sister use to have raties so she know how to cut pet nails I might ask her to help.

:D

Aww that's so lovely :love:
Glad it's going well!

Oh boy here we go again, every suggestion I make is justified as wrong before the internet ink dries on it. I have been made well aware of the studies and scholarly papers on the subject, and here is a quote from the man who did the study on Tonic Immobilization as it is known ". It may be appropriate for veterinary surgeons, and owners to continue to use this method for minor procedures,
such as nail clipping as it holds less risk than anesthesia. However, the data suggests that rabbits should only be
put into TI when necessary and owners and others educated appropriately." - http://www.hopperhome.com/Trancing Rabbits-Tonic Immobility .pdf I also have a good deal of personal experience (16 years of raising rabbits people, and a lot of rabbits to) I have also worked as a Veterinary Technician (The people who when you visit the vets office that are like nurses, who hold the animals during procedures, give medications, etc.) So I am not just suggesting things for no reason. What I suggested is both safe, and effective. I sited sources, included video links to proper technique, etc.

But why run the risk when it's easy enough to clip nails with bunny the right way up? Nutmeg is an utter scatterbrain who loathes handling but I can clip her nails without putting her into a trance.

My Mischa used to go into a form of TI at the vets. He would jump into my arms and his whole body would go stiff, it was awful, it's was clear just how utterly scared he was and he was THE most laid back bunny the rest of the time. With the help of a couple of members on here I started taking a fleece from home to put on the table and that helped immensely.

I'd much rather take nail clipping slow without bunny in a position that is similar to them being caught in a predator attack.

After all it's not like we're talking about something that needs anesthesia!

Last edited:
That is what i'm getting at... trimming a rabbits nails should be done at home. Putting a rabbit in a trance is necessary some times if bunny won't hold still in an upright position. Vets don't particularly care for doing nail trims in office either, it's already stressful enough going to the vet, and then you add more stress on top by doing a nail trim. trims should in my opinion be done quietly and comfortably at home. Here is the opinion of two vets to back up my claim http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/toenail-trims-the-bane-of-this-vets-existence Besides the trance and trying to hold bunny upright, there is also another way to restrain rabbits during nail clips but I have found it is ten times more stressful for bunny. it is where you take a towel and roll them up in it like a burrito you leave back feet out of the burrito while doing the back feet, and then take bunny out of towel and readjust so front feet are out for the next set. But honestly its so much easier to have a rabbit on it's back, faster, not to mention safer. Maybe I should do my own video on trimming rabbits nails, that way folks can see it done. trimming nails for me is like breathing, I can do 20 rabbits nails in 15 minutes.

I've never found bunny burrito-ing ever works, have tried for nail clipping and med giving and they've always wriggled out.

Personally I'd take a trip to the vets over trancing. I would try to combine it with something else so that it's only one lot of stress but as I say, even with Nutmeg-wriggle-pants I've never found the need to trance them. I put them on my lap downstairs (they live upstairs), lift front feet and clip. Back feet are a little more difficult but with Mini and Smudge I can do it with them on all four paws by holding their front end towards my body with my upper opposite arm. With Nutmeg I cradle her so she's on her bum tucked between body and left arm, use the same hand to hold the foot and the right hand to clip.

Back