• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Runaround System - Photos please

Hi,

I'm thinking of trying to connect my grass run to my shed and run combo. I've looked at the runaround website (gets a bit confusing if I'm honest - most likely as there are so many options) and a general google search but not seen a huge amount of examples.

So can any of you kind people who have runaround systems set up please share your photos?

Also I would be closing off the grass run when I'm not home, how secure do people think the runaround is when closed off? I don't want to decrease security or have a weak point for intruders to aim at.

Thanks

Hannah

Last edited:

Here is a photo of my runaround system (just before I'd finished connecting the tube to the run)
If I were you i'd go for connection kit 2, as you can close both doors off, to either keep them in the shed or in the run. I have connection kit 1, for which only one of the doors shuts, on reflection it would have been useful if I had the facility to close them both! I find it very secure. My rabbits have access to the run 24hrs now via the runaround tube.

Here is mine for Stu
52dc2e36d277da8e69746032cd4f50c8_zpsb0b2828c.jpg

And the new piece and lilac doors have come today :p so I can join his to Casserole and Dumplin's run there they are straight across to the corner of Stu's

5f31f1ee0ed17d726835a3167cae6904_zpsdc97242d.jpg

They will all have 24/7 access to both hutches and runs then :thumb:

Fitted the new tube now all 3 can live together if they like :D
null_zpse87500c2.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a runaround tunnel connecting my permanent housing to runs on the grass for when we are around to keep an eye on them. I really like them. I got connection kit 1 with the mesh fixings. I think how secure it is may depend slightly on how sturdy your mesh is, but I find it very secure and I assume it is designed to be fox proof. I just shut the door to keep them off the grass and in their accommodation when I am out or at night, they are always waiting by the tunnels in the morning to go out again though.

Thanks for the photos, it is certainly encouraging (£60+ is a lot on money to spend on something unseen!). I wonder if it would be more secure if I modified the runs so that the tunnel entrances and exits were solid wood rather than netting - just an idea!

I'm a bit nervous of cutting into my brand new run!

I've spend so much on Floss lately, but it is all improving her surrounding and hopefully making her happier :)

Hannah :)

I think it would absolutely be more secure if it was fixed to wood, but I do personally feel it is more than secure enough on mesh. It did nearly kill me cutting the mesh on my kennel, cutting a hole int he wood would have finished me off I think... :lol:

I find the runarounds well worth the money for what they are as well as the convenience.

Does the runaround need to be attached to wire?? Or could it be attatched the the shed???

Here's mine for the buns:

I've actually got more to post shortly as I now have a second setup for the guinea pigs also using Runaround. I'll come back and link the thread once I get around to it.

I also feel it's very secure and let the buns have access 24/7.

Hi,

I'm thinking of trying to connect my grass run to my shed and run combo. I've looked at the runaround website (gets a bit confusing if I'm honest - most likely as there are so many options) and a general google search but not seen a huge amount of examples.

So can any of you kind people who have runaround systems set up please share your photos?

Also I would be closing off the grass run when I'm not home, how secure do people think the runaround is when closed off? I don't want to decrease security or have a weak point for intruders to aim at.

Thanks

Hannah

My rabbits' wendy house is in an aviary style set up, but my ferrets have the runaround system. I have the runaround connected to wooden panels instead of mesh, because ferrets are little escape artists and if they find a hole, they will be out and gone! I shut the tunnel off at night and they haven't (yet!) worked out how to get the Perspex hole cover off so it's pretty good. The tunnel I have is the larger (8" diameter I think?) one. I shut off the tunnel from the small run adjoining the shed at night, so even if a fox did somehow manage to dislodge the tunnel the ferrets can't get out. I hope this helps! :)

Here's mine. I bought the standard starter kit (kit 2 I think), mine have a perfectly good sized hutch and run but I wanted them to be able to get out and graze safely, and also their hutch is in a very sheltered part of the garden and I wanted them to be able to have some more sunshine if they wanted to. You're right, cutting into the mesh is the most terrifying part :lol: I don't know if they have updated their instructions yet - if not, it's worth watching the video on their website before you attempt it, it makes it much easier to understand what all the parts are!

I let them out into the run when I am home (I don't supervise it all the time but if I am at least at home I can see that there isn't any digging going on) and I shut them back in the hutch and run at night. I don't think it's all that secure if you detach it, as the plate that blocks off the tunnel is just held on with swivel clips. I block it off inside the hutch end but leave the tunnel attached so that even if they do manage to open up the hole, they can still only get back to the run and not out into the garden.

image_zps98502c4a.jpg

image_zpsc0999026.jpg

Last edited:
Here's mine. I bought the standard starter kit (kit 2 I think), mine have a perfectly good sized hutch and run but I wanted them to be able to get out and graze safely, and also their hutch is in a very sheltered part of the garden and I wanted them to be able to have some more sunshine if they wanted to. You're right, cutting into the mesh is the most terrifying part :lol: I don't know if they have updated their instructions yet - if not, it's worth watching the video on their website before you attempt it, it makes it much easier to understand what all the parts are!

I let them out into the run when I am home (I don't supervise it all the time but if I am at least at home I can see that there isn't any digging going on) and I shut them back in the hutch and run at night. I don't think it's all that secure if you detach it, as the plate that blocks off the tunnel is just held on with swivel clips. I block it off inside the hutch end but leave the tunnel attached so that even if they do manage to open up the hole, they can still only get back to the run and not out into the garden.

Thanks, your outlook on it seems much the same as mine, I plan on working it the same way too (i.e. when I'm home they can have access to the run (I don't watch them all the time, but check every half hour or so, thus I would notice digging!). Fixing with only swivel clips is what concerned me, as I am obcessed with using bolts normally!

Hannah :)

are these tunnels big enough for them to squeeze past each other if the went opposite ways? i'm thinking of getting one at some stage :wave:

Last edited:
Back