Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunnies and their grass :)

Default Bunnies and their grass :)

I've been growing grass for my buns in an old dog bed to liven up their big boring run I've given them a handful or so every day for a few weeks to get them used to it, and yesterday I put the whole thing in. Fern was a bit suspicious at first but they both loved it!

I did take it away after about 20 minutes as they were really gorging on it, does anyone know whether it's ok for them to have it full time, or will it upset their tummies? I could keep giving it them for half an hour a day for a bit, would that help? Thanks

Beautiful. Bunnies
    She looks like my Bruce

You have beautiful bunnies! and what a cute idea

Binky free Pippin & Pumpkin xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by elmoandfern View Post
    I've been growing grass for my buns in an old dog bed to liven up their big boring run I've given them a handful or so every day for a few weeks to get them used to it, and yesterday I put the whole thing in. Fern was a bit suspicious at first but they both loved it!

I did take it away after about 20 minutes as they were really gorging on it, does anyone know whether it's ok for them to have it full time, or will it upset their tummies? I could keep giving it them for half an hour a day for a bit, would that help? Thanks
    Tha'ts a fab idea!
    This may sound like a daft question but how did you go about doing that? What kind of grass seeds did you use and are any seed packs you buy in any shop safe for bunnies? Also did you use compost or soil? Not hard to tell I'm a 26 year old girl with no gardening knowledge

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Persie View Post
    Tha'ts a fab idea!
    This may sound like a daft question but how did you go about doing that? What kind of grass seeds did you use and are any seed packs you buy in any shop safe for bunnies? Also did you use compost or soil? Not hard to tell I'm a 26 year old girl with no gardening knowledge
    Not a daft question, I actually found it really complicated to work everything out! i used just regular lawn seed, I think it was sure start, I checked with the garden centre staff and they said nothing is added so it's safe I planted it in organic compost cos I couldn't find organic soil, but apparently that doesn't matter cos the chemicals work themselves out of the soil or something? I'm not sure! It wasn't great growing in compost though cos it dries out quicker so I've been watering it like a crazy lady

Warren Veteran

That's a great idea for a container.

I did one in a large seed tray for Dylan. He just slept on it and squashed most of the grass. I used Timothy hay seeds which I got on line.

I've been wondering about doing one for Hector given his total refusal to eat hay but was also wondering what would be large enough. Now I know!!

They look so adorable, what cute little faces and the dog bed is a great idea.

Considering my rabbits eat the grass in our garden all day every day (we don't often need to mow the lawn ), as do wild rabbits, and rabbits on grass runs, they'd be fine having it in their all the time! Obviously they'd need to get used to eating more grass, but you've said that you've worked up to this so I'm sure you can just leave it in now and keep an eye on their tummies.

that's such a good idea
    Guinea pig slave to - Lily and Piglet

Rabbits loved and missed - Bisc, Matt, Smudge and Patch
    Guinea pigs loved and missed - Popcorn, Mollie, Benjie, Eddie, Maisie and Chesney

Looks fab! If buns aren't used to being on grass I'd limit the time they have to nibble on it incase it upsets their stomachs given that buns are such fragile creatures when it comes to their digestion.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES