• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rubber matting on aviary paving floor

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
our aviary will be on paving but i am worried about bisc's feet. he runs alot and his heels crack every so often.

does anyone think rubber matting would work on the paving outside? or would it get too hot? :?

if its roofed so dry inside how about 3 inch of peat as a soft flooring ontop of the paving. when it eventually gets too soiled you can put it on garden as mulch.
rabbit i had with bad hocks through neglect of previous owner the vet told me to bed him on peat in his house and run as reckoned the acids in it are good for skin recovery- was sadly too late for mine-damage too severe but apparently it can help. makes a nice soft surface at any rate-and is fairly cheap. (and yep i know not marvelous for envirament but I'm afraid when it came to my buns sore hocks I said sod envirament !)

It would probably be chewed to pieces :?

they don't tend to chew much luckily. i was thinking more just random pieces to move around. my o/h has one as an exercise mat and the buns walk on it and groom it but don't seem bothered about chewing it. although if i filled the aviary they probably would! :roll: :lol:

if its roofed so dry inside how about 3 inch of peat as a soft flooring ontop of the paving. when it eventually gets too soiled you can put it on garden as mulch.
rabbit i had with bad hocks through neglect of previous owner the vet told me to bed him on peat in his house and run as reckoned the acids in it are good for skin recovery- was sadly too late for mine-damage too severe but apparently it can help. makes a nice soft surface at any rate-and is fairly cheap. (and yep i know not marvelous for envirament but I'm afraid when it came to my buns sore hocks I said sod envirament !)

the roof is just mesh. they're indoor bunnies and the aviary is against the back doors so they can hop in and out so i couldn't have anything that they could walk into the house really. :wave:

We have stable matting in our aviary. You need a solid roof or the rain just puddles on it. It does get warm in this weather but I have been standing on it in bare feet and it's no hotter than the concrete path. We are putting wet hand towels on it for the buns to lay on and where there is shade it stays cool.

Best thing we ever bought in my opinion

Is it the cushioning you want? I was going to suggest a piece of lino but if you want the cushioning that's not much help. Much softer than paving slabs though!

i was thinking more of a couple of them in random places. just so he wouldn't always be on the paving, but a small enough area that i could take them away again when they're not outside. :wave:

Back