• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Replacement for my living/dinning room carpet.

Britannia

Warren Scout
My two rabbits are indoor bunnies (with supervised time outside) their main living space is the dinning room when we are not at home. When we are at home they have the run of downstairs. It's a through living room/dinning room which we divide with run panel when we aren't there. Although the living room part is bunny proofed as the room has the TV, DVD player, phone ect, I prefer to play it extra safe and not trust to the bunny-proofing whilst we're not around.

The carpet is 14 years old, was very cheap when we got it and frankly was probably passed it's 'use by date' four years ago. So we need to replace it - any recommendations on what to replace it with? Once the new flooring it down I'd still put their little wooden house, play tunnel and vet bed rug back down.

I'm considering vinyl:

http://www.carpetright.co.uk/rhino-brown-herringbone-2-metres-pvc-vinyl-1.html

I've seen it at a local shop at 60% off which should make it within my budget, but would it be any good for bunnies?

Any other suggestions? I could get new carpet, but I'll admit to being utterly sick of trying to get hay off the carpet. (Kizzy likes to run from the far end of dinning room to the other side of the living room with a mouth full of hay - it's like she wants to take a snack with her for later :shock:)

Something smooth is definitely easier to keep clean of hay than carpet is :lol: This looks good especially as it says it has extra slip resistance, although not sure what "Rhino Grip" is :lol:

I have similar stuff in the bunny room and have no problems, but also have off cuts of carpet and cheap mats from Wilko's to break it up a bit/so there's something soft to sit on (for me and for him :lol:)

Many bunnies will be fine on lino, but some people have experienced problems.

Best to try and get an offcut to trial it. I have a piece about 6ft long and 2ft wide... if you want to pay the postage, I can send it to you to see if your two struggle with it?

Either that or your local carpet place might have an offcut, but I think you'd have to pay for anything of a decent size.

Wood effect lino can look really stylish and not at all naff. I'm actually considering getting wood effect lino for my bedroom!

This is personally what I got for N&T's shed, and I don't think it'd look out of place in a house at all:

Many bunnies will be fine on lino, but some people have experienced problems.

Best to try and get an offcut to trial it. I have a piece about 6ft long and 2ft wide... if you want to pay the postage, I can send it to you to see if your two struggle with it?

Thank you so much that's a really kind offer :)

However I've decided I'm going to go with the lino in both the living room and dinning room. But we'll keep the best bits of the carpet which could be to put down again over the lino if the buns don't take to it. My other half pointed out that it's only the high traffic areas that are spoiling the carpet. We'll try the lino for a few days and see if the buns take to it and keep the better bits of the carpet rolled up in the hall.

I'm hoping the buns will like it, they are fine on the tiled kitchen floor so fingers crossed. They'll still have their vet bed in their sleeping area so they still have a comfy cosy area.

We'll never make the cover of "Home & Garden" magazine, but happy buns are better a posh gaff any day of the week :lol:

I agree with the offcut option if possible. It took Fudge ages to step on the lino because he found it slippy and he stays in the carrier at the vets while the other hop around :roll:

He is fine now but it took him a while so I would check before spending too much

Back