• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

question if you've painted the inside of a run or hutch/around the mesh

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
did you just paint over and between where the mesh staples onto the frame?

i painted some aviary panels today and it took me ages to paint between the gaps! :roll: ended up painting the mesh there aswell. :?

has this happened to anyone else, and is it ok for the mesh to be painted and is it safe? (anxiety moment!) :wave:

if anyone has any pics that would help aswell. :wave:

just had a thought - i might at some point buy those wooden edging strips, paint them and then screw them around the mesh edges so it looks better. :oops: it will do my head in having to look at messy paint work. :roll:

Usually I would paint before putting the mesh on but if you have to yes I'd just paint over all of it trying to push the brush in around the mesh from different angles.

Usually I would paint before putting the mesh on but if you have to yes I'd just paint over all of it trying to push the brush in around the mesh from different angles.

yeh, that's one advantage to making them yourself over buying them i suppose.

i might try and paint just around the edges, then when it's up, try and add some wood strips or something to make it a bit neater. :? but then they won't match and it will drive me mad! :oops:

I painted over the mesh. It was a pre-bought run. Took forever and ruined a good paint brush but it should be all right. :)

I was more worried about the drips drying and then bunnies might be tempted to chew 'em. XD

I painted over the mesh. It was a pre-bought run. Took forever and ruined a good paint brush but it should be all right. :)

I was more worried about the drips drying and then bunnies might be tempted to chew 'em. XD

the other panel doesn't look too bad now it's dry actually. some drips though, like you say. luckily bisc and matt aren't really the type to chew anything and everything, so i'm hoping with lots of tunnels and toys in the aviary they should be occupied enough.

That's what I did. It looks a little bit messy :oops::lol: but I decided that I'd rather make sure the wood's protected than worry about a bit of paint on the mesh. :D

yeh, that's one advantage to making them yourself over buying them i suppose.

i might try and paint just around the edges, then when it's up, try and add some wood strips or something to make it a bit neater. :? but then they won't match and it will drive me mad! :oops:

It will match, well, near enough to be okay. I've made my own aviary and as the edges of the mesh were sharp I bought some wooden strips 'double round edge' (kind of a flat D shape) that I painted with the same stain and screwed in place. If the wood is a different type then it might not match perfectly but it will look better than painted mesh/uneven paint round the mesh. You can also buy the strips of different widths so should be able to match the same as the framing on the aviary, or whever looks good.

That's what I did. It looks a little bit messy :oops::lol: but I decided that I'd rather make sure the wood's protected than worry about a bit of paint on the mesh. :D

i'm trying to think like that! it would have looked a bit odd with the inside wood colour and the outside willow green.

It will match, well, near enough to be okay. I've made my own aviary and as the edges of the mesh were sharp I bought some wooden strips 'double round edge' (kind of a flat D shape) that I painted with the same stain and screwed in place. If the wood is a different type then it might not match perfectly but it will look better than painted mesh/uneven paint round the mesh. You can also buy the strips of different widths so should be able to match the same as the framing on the aviary, or whever looks good.

i've noticed some sharp pieces of mesh aswell which i am worried about. i think once it's up i will try and get some edging strips for it. they should match ok when painted hopefully. :thumb:

Back