• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dont know what to do?

Im new to bunnies,a woman I work with says she cant wait for bunnie to die!hes in the way,i want to go and get him.hes in a hutch in her front room and has never been out of the hutch in 5 years,the problem is I cant have him in the house would he cope outside?there is no way bluebell would tolerate another bunnie shes to aggressive please help me.

not sure what we can do to help!
i'm sorry you are in an awkward situation. could you get the bunny and keep him in one room in your house?

Have you seem the bunny... Can you report her to the RSPCA or give her a bunny rescue number? Where are you?.

It's really warm weather so if the bun was healthy he could cope outside in a hutch and run and then he would build up a thicker coat for winter. The problem is if she's been neglecting him he might be in a bad condition and need vet treatment.
Maybe someone on here can help you contact a rescue?
Or as someone else has suggested you could keep him in a separate room of the house?

In general though indoor bunnies can become outdoor bunnies, although being outside he would need another bun for companionship which would involve neutering and the cost of another bunny.

Sorry you are in such a hard position! What a horrid woman :(

I wonder if it might be better for someone with a bit more experience to take him in if they could or a rescue with a no kill policy. I am not suggesting that you shouldn't try and help get him a new life, but sadly if he's been in the cage for his whole life he is quite likely to have some serious issues going on with his health. I took a bunny from a lady a while back where he'd been in an indoor cage his whole life. He was 7. He had some serious issues, including dental and skeletal. This would have to be bourne in mind for anyone taking him on - he'd most likely need a really good checkover by a good bunny vet. If you do decide to take him on, I think that he'd be okay changing environment, but just beware that if he's been cooped up in a small cage for a long time, giving him too much space quickly might actually not be a good thing - he may need to be given more space gradually in case his muscles are not so good.

Whereabouts are you? Maybe someone near to you with more hands on experience might be able to help?

Whatever you do decide I think it's necessary to try and rescue the bunny if you really do think that the lady means she's waiting for him to die - it wouldn't take much for that to happen sadly.

Thankyou for all advise

Thankyou ,me and my hubby have had a long and hard chat regarding rabbit,sadly we can not take him in,we both feel that were not expierenced rabbit owners we live in a one bed house so no spare room, we have persuaded her to go to our local vets and find out where he can go to,she apologised about her comment and she didn't relise she was sounding so cruel,to be honest I went round he was in a clean 6ft hutch with hay and straw

Last edited:
Back