• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tell me what's needed when building a run

Rach210

Alpha Buck
My husband (who wasn't going to get attached to Misty, oh no, she's my bunny and he wasn't interested) has decided that Misty needs another, larger run, preferably one we can sit in with her. I'm really pleased because I'd love her to have more space and will eventually buy runaround tubes to link the new run (planned to be 8'x6') to her 7'x4' run and the small run attached to her hutch.

So husband has asked me to ask you:
- what kind of reinforcement will the new run need? He wants it to be moveable for mowing and moving to fresh grass.
- what's bunny safe for sealing the wood?
- is any particular type of mesh better?
- any other tips?

My husband (who wasn't going to get attached to Misty, oh no, she's my bunny and he wasn't interested) has decided that Misty needs another, larger run, preferably one we can sit in with her. I'm really pleased because I'd love her to have more space and will eventually buy runaround tubes to link the new run (planned to be 8'x6') to her 7'x4' run and the small run attached to her hutch.

So husband has asked me to ask you:
- what kind of reinforcement will the new run need? He wants it to be moveable for mowing and moving to fresh grass.
- what's bunny safe for sealing the wood?
- is any particular type of mesh better?
- any other tips?

The most important thing for strength is to create each of the four sides as one solid piece, instead of making say 2 x 4ft pieces and attaching them to make an 8ft side. This will buckle in the middle and be impossible to drag across the lawn and just annoying in so many ways! As long as it's solidly made it'll be sturdy enough to move. My one which is flimsy has been moved around every 3 days for 2 years and is fine, so a strong one will be fine.

Cuprinol is the best bet, or wilkos garden shades are fine too. Put the mesh on the inside so they can't nibble at the wood and it's 100% safe as they can't even get to it!

Yes, you want welded galvanised mesh. Galvanised means it won't rust. Mines been outside for 2 years unprotected and no rust at all. Spaces should be no smaller than 1 x 1 inch, 1 x 1/2 inch is prefered. 19g is good (the higher the number, the stronger it is). I used something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weld-Mesh...221?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cd33d00bd. If you make your run 3ft high, you can just cut it off where necessary instead of having to cut out a whole rectangle per side! Chicken wire is useless - they can chew through it. Any bigger spaces than 1 x 1 inch means cats can get their paws in and it's dangerous. 1 x 1/2 inch mesh is so, so strong - basically foxproof. I've hammered away with a sledgehammer and it doesn't budge.

You don't need to mitre the ends - you can just put them at right angles. Mitre makes it look nicer I guess but I haven't with mine and it's just as strong.

We used this wood and it's great - really thick and strong http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wc...ay?langId=110&storeId=10151&partNumber=856828.

Hi

Sorry to disagree with someone elses reply but the lower the gauge the stronger the weld mesh is. A lot of runs you buy are made with 19 gauge. This is okay to use for the daytime but to be fox proof it really needs to be 16 gauge or lower. You buy 16 gauge on a roll but I think 12 gauge is bought in panels as it is so strong it doesn't roll up!

I also use cuprinol garden shades to protect the wood and attach the mesh on the inside of the run. The ends of mine are 2 pieces hinged together to enable it to be stored flat when not in use but if its a permanent attached run I would agree it's best if it is in solid pieces.

I definitely would not go any bigger than 1 inch x 1 inch holes. My runs are 1 inch x 1/2 inch 19 gauge. My hutches and attached 24 hour run is 16 gauge and 12 gauge 1 inch x 1 inch.

Hope this helps and have fun!
Kate

Thanks for the advice, I have passed it on to my husband.

I wouldn't let Misty into the run at night, she will be safely shut in her hutch overnight.

Hi

Sorry to disagree with someone elses reply but the lower the gauge the stronger the weld mesh is. A lot of runs you buy are made with 19 gauge. This is okay to use for the daytime but to be fox proof it really needs to be 16 gauge or lower. You buy 16 gauge on a roll but I think 12 gauge is bought in panels as it is so strong it doesn't roll up!

I also use cuprinol garden shades to protect the wood and attach the mesh on the inside of the run. The ends of mine are 2 pieces hinged together to enable it to be stored flat when not in use but if its a permanent attached run I would agree it's best if it is in solid pieces.

I definitely would not go any bigger than 1 inch x 1 inch holes. My runs are 1 inch x 1/2 inch 19 gauge. My hutches and attached 24 hour run is 16 gauge and 12 gauge 1 inch x 1 inch.

Hope this helps and have fun!
Kate

Ah yes you're right, the lower the number the stronger it is. Sorry was half asleep when I wrote my reply and reworded the sentence, so it ended up all wrong!

Back