• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Painting hutch

QContrary

Young Bun
We got a new hutch about a month ago, OH put it together before I managed to paint it as it arrived whilst I was at work. So they went straight into it. I want to paint it, have the paint ready, but now cant put the bunnies anywhere else as their old hutch is just not suitable for a long period of time. If I paint a small bit at a time, will that be ok? its an outdoor hutch and get a breeze generally here..

Have you got a run? Pop a cardboard box in for hiding and shut them in that. This sort of weather, the paint should dry in an afternoon - though you'd want to leave it longer if you are doing the inside. It depends what you are painting it with :)

Painting it with wilko's garden shades, and only doing the outside. I can take the stairs out and do the hutch in one afternoon, but in weather like this, I don't really want to confine them to the hutch for a day, having said that, overnight might work. The run is attached permanently to the hutch (happy hutch 6ft combo)

Not sure the drying time on wilkos have a look on the tin it should say. Hutch overnight's not too bad but they will be a bit miffed so extra toys. Check the drying time, it might only be a few hours so you could do it in the evening when it's cooler and then let them back out before you went to bed.

Having painted the inside of my shed with Wilkos shades Buttermilk I would never use wilkos shades again, It absolutely stank and it took absolutely forever to apply - It has only been on a year and is already fading.

It may be good value but it is well worth getting Cuprinol Garden Shades for the little bit extra, I have started painting the outside of my shed with Cuprinol shades Seagrass and it applied extremely well and it had no aroma at all, I will be painting the inside when the bunnies go off to be bonded (Quad).

With the Wilkos shades I would not advise putting the rabbits back in until there is no smell at all, unfortunately it does lurk for about 3-4 days and without a breeze it is a nightmare.

Back