• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Larger breeds accommodation

Rach210

Alpha Buck
I have a 6'x2'x2' hurch with attached run, I also have a 7'x4' run on the grass, these will be attached. I just wondered whether you'd keep larger breeds (french lop, conti etc) in a set up this size? I'm thinking not but just wondered.

I've been on Rabbit Rehome this afternoon and thee's a couple of very handsome big bunnies!

Personally, I wouldn't. My last bun was a French lop. I currently have a conti. Both totally house bunnies with a room to themselves!

They both need masses of space to run about but, more importantly, they need height. :)

They are both gorgeous breeds: hugely affectionate and loving though so if you have the space, do it!!

I thought so. I definitely can't have an indoor bunny though. Maybe one day I'll have a bunny shed!

I've got a French lop bonded with another bun, but they have a spare bedroom indoors to themselves. If he was to be outside I would be looking at a shed or playhouse as oppose to a hutch. They are fab bunnies though. Buster is very laid back and follows me about like a dog would. He also really enjoys a cuddle and chatters his teeth so loud you can hear him above the tele. If you do get a French lop they love boxes to nudge about, and it is so funny when he tries to run as fast as Paddington and do binky's. They are certainly not the most elegant of breeds :lol::lol:

No, definitely not, because that size is smaller than the RWAF minimum size for normal-sized rabbits.

I have a 'large' rabbit, not really a giant, he should be about 3.7kg, and I feel guilty for keeping him in an 8x6 run. It takes him about three big hops to get from one end to the other - that's no life for any rabbit. He can't run or build up any speed in it, and he is not even a giant... I think contis are about twice his size. I try to let him out every evening for a run about.

You also have to consider depth and height - a 2ft deep hutch will not allow a giant to lie stretched out in any direction inside it, and a 2ft high hutch/run will not allow them to periscope fully - both the RSPCA and RWAF state that it is essential that a rabbit can do these things in their accommodation for their physical and mental health, as well as take 3 hops in a straight line..... I dread to think how long 3 hops is for a conti! :lol:

Back