• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

does anyones bunnys free range in the garden???

The way I see it life involves some risk for all of us...cats, rabbits, people. I mean we can't keep our kids in when they start growing up just in case something happens to them we have to let them out eventually and we go out even though there are risks to us. I suppose I see it the same with pets. My cats are allowed out and one of mine did get killed on the road but I still stick by my decision not to confine them....I just don't think its fair they love going out it's natural for them I know I would not like to be confined to indoors permanently being able to see outside but not go out. The same with my bunnies although I let them free range I make sure there is somewhere where they can get inside that a bigger predator cannot. Anyway it's a very personal decision and people who say 'you shouldn't leave them in the garden unattended' really annoy me...what they really mean is 'they do not think you should leave them in the garden unattended'. There is no rule book with how your rabbits are kept you make the decision based on what you think is best to give them the best quality of life you can.

I agree too! As I said before, my cats actually smashed up the cat flap when I locked them in the house! :lol: Not the act of happy kitties :roll:

I'm not sure if you meant that I was being hypocritical or not, but I'll assume not as I haven't said anything about cats. I agree with you, I wouldn't allow a cat of mine free range unless I lived in a very specific area (some perfect paradise where there are few to no cars, lots of houses and no countryside nearby). However, I don't think these perfect paradises exist and so I wouldn't let a cat of mine roam free. We used to let my old cat out (bearing in mind I was 13/14 at the time) and she was always fine, but we are lucky to live in a very safe area where there are very few cars and they all have to go very slow because of the roads here. As I said though, I wouldn't let mine out. You can get these aviaries which attach to the side of the house and the cat either gets out through the window or a door. Allows them to go out when they want but in a safe area.

Absolutely not aiming this comment at anyone in particular so sorry if you felt it was aimed at you :oops:. It's just that lots of people on RU feel it's a hideous crime to let their bunnies free-range unsupervised BUT will happily allow their cats out to roam the streets. I just don't get it because to me, they're both the same - an unspervised pet in a situation where it could come to harm but where the owner is prepared to take the risk. I don't understand how it's acceptable to let a cat roam but not acceptable to let a bunny free-range. Confused.com :?.

Last edited:
The way I see it life involves some risk for all of us...cats, rabbits, people. I mean we can't keep our kids in when they start growing up just in case something happens to them we have to let them out eventually and we go out even though there are risks to us. I suppose I see it the same with pets. My cats are allowed out and one of mine did get killed on the road but I still stick by my decision not to confine them....I just don't think its fair they love going out it's natural for them I know I would not like to be confined to indoors permanently being able to see outside but not go out. The same with my bunnies although I let them free range I make sure there is somewhere where they can get inside that a bigger predator cannot. Anyway it's a very personal decision and people who say 'you shouldn't leave them in the garden unattended' really annoy me...what they really mean is 'they do not think you should leave them in the garden unattended'. There is no rule book with how your rabbits are kept you make the decision based on what you think is best to give them the best quality of life you can.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Back