• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D renewed Bandits insurance with ED for £100 less.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
£175.24 :shock: I have never made a claim for Bandit and he is only 2 years old. I will phone Exotic Direct and change policies, I am sure its about £50.00 cheaper. Plus the excess is £15.00 cheaper too.

I only paid about £110 ish for Mr B and Cutie-pie with Pets at Home after claiming 1000's for both of them in the last two years. However, I wouldn't use them again.

Last edited:
Crikey :shock:

I fear all Pet Insurance is going to become a lot more costly in the not too distant future.

We are heading for a time when only the very wealthy will be able to afford a Pet.

I fear all Pet Insurance is going to become a lot more costly in the not too distant future.

We are heading for a time when only the very wealthy will be able to afford a Pet.

It's a crazy amount for renewal and sadly I agree there will be a time the average person wouldn't be able to afford many pets. I don't know what the PDSA is like but I doubt they take on dental issues or complicated cases, plus I don't think they do emergencies in the evening or weekends.

Two years ago insurance for the Mr B and CP was £75.00 each, with £75.00 excess. Not only have those policies gone up by over £30.00 each but the excess has increased as well, to include not paying 10 percent of the bill.

£174.24 is about what we pay for buildings insurance that covers £200,000,00. Pet insurance has a maximum of £2,000.00.

Oh god that's frightening :shock:

I think a lot of that is down to area, although they obviously didn't factor that in last year if that is affecting it.

My most expensive is Esme, 5.5 years old total of about £800 in claims over 3 years - she's £168 with Pet Plan.

Surprisingly, Artie's renewal with P@H was only £98 despite him being 8 and having taken them for the full £1,000 18 months earlier.

I'm getting quite :shock::shock: at the £90 excesses and how steeply they are rising. Sadly I can't see me taking on any more pets for some time because of these price hikes.

Is Exotics Direct part of Pet Plan anyway? I think I got that from one or other's website.

Edit to add: The last two claims I've made with P@H - Barnaby and Eloise have gone really smoothly. I made a continuation claim for Binky the same day as Eloise's (PP v P@H) it will be interesting to see which cheque arrives first. P@H (Eloise's) have emailed me to say they are paying and how much.

Last edited:
£174.24 is about what we pay for buildings insurance that covers £200,000,00. Pet insurance has a maximum of £2,000.00.

True...but the likelihood of a payout on your pet insurance is infinitely higher than the likelihood of a major home insurance payout.

Like bunny buddy I just got Heather's renewal from PAH and it was only £98 for lifetime cover which I thought was pretty good given that she's over 10 and has an ongoing condition which they paid out £1000 for this year!

Oh god that's frightening :shock:

I think a lot of that is down to area, although they obviously didn't factor that in last year if that is affecting it.

My most expensive is Esme, 5.5 years old total of about £800 in claims over 3 years - she's £168 with Pet Plan.

Surprisingly, Artie's renewal with P@H was only £98 despite him being 8 and having taken them for the full £1,000 18 months earlier.

I'm getting quite :shock::shock: at the £90 excesses and how steeply they are rising. Sadly I can't see me taking on any more pets for some time because of these price hikes.

Is Exotics Direct part of Pet Plan anyway? I think I got that from one or other's website.

Sadly we cannot take on anymore pets either.

Someone else asked the other day if Exotic Direct is part of Pet Plan. I don't know. I checked Little Nylon's the chinchillas renewal with Exotic Direct and it is £129.90 plus she is nearly 9. £175.24 is a bit of a shocker for insurance renewal.

£90.00 excess is steep. Who is that with ? or is that including the 10% on top of the excess ?

Having such high excess excludes making many claims. :roll: All those £50.00 visits and one offs.

True...but the likelihood of a payout on your pet insurance is infinitely higher than the likelihood of a major home insurance payout.

Like bunny buddy I just got Heather's renewal from PAH and it was only £98 for lifetime cover which I thought was pretty good given that she's over 10 and has an ongoing condition which they paid out £1000 for this year!

Yes we did have a buildings insurance claim nightmare last year but eventually got the money. The excess was £250.00. :shock:

Thats what I don't understand Bandit is only 2, insured since he was 1 and never been unwell. I would be happy with £98.00. I shall phone them on Monday.

Sadly we cannot take on anymore pets either.

Someone else asked the other day if Exotic Direct is part of Pet Plan. I don't know. I checked Little Nylon's the chinchillas renewal with Exotic Direct and it is £129.90 plus she is nearly 9. £175.24 is a bit of a shocker for insurance renewal.

£90.00 excess is steep. Who is that with ? or is that including the 10% on top of the excess ?

Having such high excess excludes making many claims. :roll: All those £50.00 visits and one offs.

The £90 excesses are with Pet Plan for my older bunnies (over 5s) I'm confused as Rudy (Male) is 6 and his excess is £75 yet the females over 5 (Esme, Erin and Tinkerbell) have £90 excesses. Even with the older ones there's no % excess with PP. I'm annoyed because I asked both companies a lot of questions before Rudy's 5th birthday and swapped him to PP as I thought given the info I had then it would be safer/cheaper. Looks like I got it wrong as his renewal was £143 and likely to carry on climbing.

Last edited:

i think that's true. combine that with news items about abandoned and badly treated animals, and i think a public change of attitude to animals is being engineered. as with smoking, drink driving, and being fat, being a pet owner will gradually become socially unacceptable.

The £90 excesses are with Pet Plan for my older bunnies (over 5s) I'm confused as Rudy (Male) is 6 and his excess is £75 yet the females over 5 (Esme, Eloise and Tinkerbell) have £90 excesses. Even with the older ones there's no % excess with PP. I'm annoyed because I asked both companies a lot of questions before Rudy's 5th birthday and swapped him to PP as I thought given the info I had then it would be safer/cheaper. Looks like I got it wrong as his renewal was £143 and likely to carry on climbing.

Am starting to think, with the different prices of policies and with different ages etc, this is something to pass onto Watch Dog. I don't think enough people complain so perhaps its not regulated enough. Seems like random prices plucked out of thin air.

Pet Plan did answer the phone today but she couldn't tell me why Santa's policy was cheaper for an older rabbit, than my policy. However I did find out Pet Plan and Exotic Direct are different companies but have the same underwriter.

Never heard that there are different excesses for different ages. Confusing.

Pet Plan did answer the phone today but she couldn't tell me why Santa's policy was cheaper for an older rabbit, than my policy.
Never heard that there are different excesses for different ages. Confusing.

Mine's PAH not petplan so that's probably why!

It's been common for year in cats for the excess to rise with age, it's quite common that after the age if 10/12 that you also have to pay a percentage of the cost of treatment as well as the excess. I suspect that they're now realising that the sorts of owners who would insure their rabbits are the sorts of owners who do actually take them to the vets and get them the treatment they need, and they are therefore having to expand similar criteria simply to make a profit. I have to say I have some sympathy with the price of pet insurance, just thinking back to the amounts that some of us have paid for treatments recently (not least your emergency treatment, byb). The insurance company has to make a profit somehow otherwise they won't stay in business and there won't be pet insurance at all, so it has to balance off the price per customer against the likelihood of claiming and the cost of claims. Some insurers seem to do that in an individual pet basis and it's claim history, others do it on age/postcode, others do it on the average claim value in the preceding three months. I'm sure there are a myriad of other ways it is calculated too.

It does seem random though doesn't it - when my cats renewals came through, Milly's went up £20 after an £800 claim, Geoffrey's went up nearly £100 with no claim. When I asked why, they said that male cats are considered higher risk than females so the premiums go up more over time. I swapped to insure Geoffrey with More Than which came up way cheaper -I hadn't made any claims anyway so it wasn't as if I risked not transferring any pre-existing conditions.

Also with cat and dog insurance there is more competition, there is, what, only three or four rabbit insurers?!

Mine's PAH not petplan so that's probably why!

It's been common for year in cats for the excess to rise with age, it's quite common that after the age if 10/12 that you also have to pay a percentage of the cost of treatment as well as the excess. I suspect that they're now realising that the sorts of owners who would insure their rabbits are the sorts of owners who do actually take them to the vets and get them the treatment they need, and they are therefore having to expand similar criteria simply to make a profit. I have to say I have some sympathy with the price of pet insurance, just thinking back to the amounts that some of us have paid for treatments recently (not least your emergency treatment, byb). The insurance company has to make a profit somehow otherwise they won't stay in business and there won't be pet insurance at all, so it has to balance off the price per customer against the likelihood of claiming and the cost of claims. Some insurers seem to do that in an individual pet basis and it's claim history, others do it on age/postcode, others do it on the average claim value in the preceding three months. I'm sure there are a myriad of other ways it is calculated too.

It does seem random though doesn't it - when my cats renewals came through, Milly's went up £20 after an £800 claim, Geoffrey's went up nearly £100 with no claim. When I asked why, they said that male cats are considered higher risk than females so the premiums go up more over time. I swapped to insure Geoffrey with More Than which came up way cheaper -I hadn't made any claims anyway so it wasn't as if I risked not transferring any pre-existing conditions.

:oops:Thankfully I didn't agrue the case of price difference. The woman must have been really confused at a £98 policy. :lol: I accept my two Pets at Home insurance policies have gone up with all the claims I have made but they are still nearly £60 cheaper than Pet Plan. I said I wouldn't be renewing so will look at Exotic Direct for Bandit instead.

Yes I expect you are right. The type of people to insure rabbits are going to be getting medical treatment for their animals without hesitation and without worrying about a huge bill like my emergency vets. We have made claims of over £4k to £5k in the last two years, so we have had a lot of money back. Still out of pocket by nearly £500.00 this year alone though and have yet another claim to put in. Not been a good year, although thankfully all the animals are fine at the moment.

Also with cat and dog insurance there is more competition, there is, what, only three or four rabbit insurers?!

Four. There is an online company that insures rabbits too. The online quote I got was about £11.50 a month.

is that per month or altogether? when i was looking i was getting quotes of about £400 for the year for two bunnies, who were 4 months old. needless to say i have no pet insurance.

e: just had a look, £373 for three buns. suppose that's not too bad, better than the 400 for 2 i got before :shock:

Last edited:
I'm currently trying to pick insurance for mine and it's just so hard!! I hate insurance. Doing my contents insurance at the same time to get it all out of the way in one furious session! ARGH!!!

buckley's premium is £144 this year. that doesn't bother me. it's the excess that does. it's gone from £55 to £80! he's 2! and allegedly pet plan don't base the cost of your insurance on the fact that you've claimed in the past.

pru was only born in November and hers costs £124 ish, with a £55 excess. and that's with the multipet discount.

buckley's first year of insurance cost £100 with a £50 excess...

I don't understand why everyone seems to have different amounts they pay for their policy, regardless of who they are with.

Why is mine so high at £175 for a two year old healthy bunny who has never been ill. :?

Glad to hear Ginger and Biccy's hasn't gone up. How has Ginger been lately ?

Someone (sorry I can't remember who) posted this link: http://www.helpucover.co.uk/product/...FQ3KtAod-k4AhA

Their insurance is cheap BUT it says it has an excess per condition which sounds like a terrible idea for rabbits.

My quote from ExoticDirect was ok, then they sent me a 10% off code which I think makes them cheaper than PetPlan for my two, even if I go for £2000 per pet rather than per policy. (Took me ages to work out why there were two different options.)
Now I just have to decide between those options.

Someone (sorry I can't remember who) posted this link: http://www.helpucover.co.uk/product/...FQ3KtAod-k4AhA

Their insurance is cheap BUT it says it has an excess per condition which sounds like a terrible idea for rabbits.

My quote from ExoticDirect was ok, then they sent me a 10% off code which I think makes them cheaper than PetPlan for my two, even if I go for £2000 per pet rather than per policy. (Took me ages to work out why there were two different options.)
Now I just have to decide between those options.

Most policies have excesses per condition - Pet Plan and Pets at Home definitely do, it's what I would expect, to be honest.

Back