• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Ear mites

Leximo

Young Bun
I'm pretty sure Buddy has ear mites :(

I noticed today that he has a thinning patch of hair near the base of his ear along with some flaky skin. In one of his ears you can just about see some brown scaly skin (I know not to pick it off). The vet is closed now but I'm going to get him an appointment tomorrow, but is there anything I can do in the meantime? I'm worried that the mites came from his hay but if that's the case then I don't know what I can do to prevent it happening again :( Should I disinfect his hutch?

He is also going through a heavy moult at the moment, it's heavier than usual so I don't know if that's due to the mites. Otherwise he is acting normal but I'm still worried for him and I wonder if I could have caught it sooner. I know that mites can cause discomfort and itching so is there anything I can do for him to make him more comfortable?

In the meantime there's not a lot you can do, just hold tight and see the vet! Once he's been treated you will need to remove all bedding and disinfect everything in sight. If you have any other rabbits they will also need to be treated, even if they don't have outward signs of mites. I'm glad to read he's a hutch bun as at least everything's contained to one area and will be easier to clean. The mites may well have come in his hay but unfortunately there isn't much you can do against that, it's just a case of keeping vigilant for signs of them having got to bun. My mum's buns had ear mites a few years ago and that's where I thought they came from too, I'd chuck the remainder of that hay bag out if I were you.

The moult is probably unrelated, ear mites and skin mites are in the same family but different bugs I think? Can someone confirm? Anyway, mites on the body leave flaky, dandruffy skin at the base of the fur (it's sometimes called walking dandruff) so if you're concerned have a good poke around all over his body for evidence. I'd advise disguising it as a good stroking session or having treats ready or you will have one grumpy bun :lol: Good luck at the vet.

Good luck... My wee smudge is recovering from ear mites and although his outbreak was minor, it's been a bummer to treat, He has had 2 treatments of ivermectin and a bottle of Canaural for inside his ear,,,

All the best,,,,
Fee x

Back