• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping a single Rabbit

Everywhere I look I see Rescue Centers refusing to allow single rabbits to be adopted, and people are recommending keeping them together.

If I knew, with 100% certainty, that i'd be able to provide a rabbit 4-5 hours a day of comfort/bonding (as well as there being 4-5 other people loving it as well), do I really need to get 2 rabbits.

Just wondering as I was intending to get a Rabbit, but only have enough room for one. I've seen many people with only one Rabbit, but everywhere I look I see people bombarding me with Capital Letters screaming 'Two bunnies or more'. Can anyone give me so honest advice please :)?

OT: Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area - it was more medical related that anything

Rabbits need company of their own kind and even if you do spend 4-5 hours a day with him or her they will still be alone for 19-20 hours. Imagine if you were locked in a small room for 20hours a day with a dog visiting for a few hours each day.

As far as space goes 1 rabbit needs the same space as 2. They need to be able to be able to run around and binky whether with a friend or not.

Rabbits need company of their own kind and even if you do spend 4-5 hours a day with him or her they will still be alone for 19-20 hours. Imagine if you were locked in a small room for 20hours a day with a dog visiting for a few hours each day.

As far as space goes 1 rabbit needs the same space as 2. They need to be able to be able to run around and binky whether with a friend or not.

It would be an indoor rabbit, with the 'hut' always open. It's not the space (Whilst that is affected) - its the cost mainly, and the fact that it'll be 2 rabbits instead of one to look after.

BTW weird comparison between a sentient creature and a dog, to a rabbit interacting with multiple humans :p but I understand where you are coming from.

I'm confused. Rabbits are sentient.

As far as cost goes rabbits are expensive animals to care for. I don't mean this to sound rude at all but have you considered a cheaper pet. Rabbits cost a similar amount to a cat to care for.

My first bunny i had was a solo bunny and was always happy

my one i have now lives with a guinea pig (Yes i do know some people dont agree with keeping bunnies and piggies together but they're both very happy and the best of friends)

my one i have now lives with a guinea pig (Yes i do know some people dont agree with keeping bunnies and piggies together but they're both very happy and the best of friends)

Awesome - I just wanted to see if one person out there had had a good experience :)

I'm confused. Rabbits are sentient.

As far as cost goes rabbits are expensive animals to care for. I don't mean this to sound rude at all but have you considered a cheaper pet. Rabbits cost a similar amount to a cat to care for.

Agree with this.

What are the costs that are worrying you? It doesn't really cost much more to feed two rabbits than one, as they mostly eat hay. The set-up costs will be the same, as rabbits need lots of space whether single or paired. With the vet bills, you could look at insuring them. It's usually from about £14-£24 a month to insure two rabbits, so then any unexpected illnesses should be covered.

Rescues rehome in pairs because rabbits do naturally live in groups, so are better off with another rabbit. One of the RWAF leaflets explains 'bunny buddies' really well: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/resources/content/leaflet_pdfs/b_buds_jul_04.pdf

There are some bunnies in rescues that wont take to another rabbit at all, is it worth phoning around to see if they have one that has been difficult/unwilling to bond with another??

My own bunny is terrified of other bunnies and really aggressive with them yet she will lay with the cats, chase the chooks and loves watching the dogs play so I do know they're out there :wave:

The only costs that I found really increases with an additional rabbit is vet costs. I use up the same amount of hay with three as I did with four, dry food they only need very little so that doesn't make much difference, I forage and grow greens so that's free.

If you don't get from a rescue you're talking 2x neuter (anything from £50-100 each) 2x vaccinations (around £20-40 each) two lots of accomodation until they are ready to be bonded. Then there is the bonding.

It's more inconvenience at the start than cost in my experience. The inconvenience can be solved by getting a pair from rescue, and that will reduce some of the cost too as they've be neutered and vaccinated already. Obviously the more you have the more chance you have of needing to go to the vets. So far despite having four (and now three) bunnies I've never had more than two on treatment at a time and those were the two with snuffles issues caused by ignorance.

In my personal opinion rabbits are better off with a companion. Even if I was sitting with then 24 hours a day I still can't move my ears, nose, head, etc the way another bunny would and bunny language is 99% body language. It's wonderful watching them interact. :love:

Last edited:
Rabbits nearly always look "happy" but it doesn't necessarily mean they are. When I was younger I kept single rabbits and always thought they were happy, but once I joined this forum and learnt about how they were happier in groups I got them neutered (which should be done regardless of whether you're getting a single or pair) and bonded. It was like they were totally different rabbits, they were so loved up and they really were happy. There's nothing quite like a bonded pair/group of bunnies. Human interaction just doesn't compare to the way bunnies interact with each other.

I do have a single bunny though because she's aggressive to all other animals, and she doesn't really like people either. It might be worth ringing round a few rescues and seeing if any of them has a bunny that hasn't taken to bonding, as someone mentioned before :)

Just wanted to say, have you done lots of research on keeping rabbits and guinea pigs together? The risks are huge... even if they get on they not only have different dietary requirements, but both of them carry illnesses which can be fatal to each other :(

There are some bunnies in rescues that wont take to another rabbit at all, is it worth phoning around to see if they have one that has been difficult/unwilling to bond with another??

My own bunny is terrified of other bunnies and really aggressive with them yet she will lay with the cats, chase the chooks and loves watching the dogs play so I do know they're out there :wave:

Hi :wave:

This is the way to go if you only want one rabbit. Rescues do get the chance to see what a bun is like and if it really dislikes other buns they will know. I have seen them advertise this fact about the occasional bun.

It will need to have toys and things to keep it stimulated and you will find some good ideas on here about what else keeps a bun happy.

Rabbits nearly always look "happy" but it doesn't necessarily mean they are. When I was younger I kept single rabbits and always thought they were happy, but once I joined this forum and learnt about how they were happier in groups I got them neutered (which should be done regardless of whether you're getting a single or pair) and bonded. It was like they were totally different rabbits, they were so loved up and they really were happy. There's nothing quite like a bonded pair/group of bunnies. Human interaction just doesn't compare to the way bunnies interact with each other.

I do have a single bunny though because she's aggressive to all other animals, and she doesn't really like people either. It might be worth ringing round a few rescues and seeing if any of them has a bunny that hasn't taken to bonding, as someone mentioned before :)

I think the fact that he does massive binkies, racing and jumping around the garden, completely happy rabbit flops are a big indication of whether he is happy or not.

I think the fact that he does massive binkies, racing and jumping around the garden, completely happy rabbit flops are a big indication of whether he is happy or not.

I know from your photos and posts that Louie has a lovely life, much better than most domestic rabbits, but my Benji also used to run and binky and flop before he was bonded... when he lived with Cupcake it was like he had a whole new lease of life and I realised what he'd been missing out on.

All rabbits are different, but the majority of the time as they are social animals they prefer living in pairs or groups... it's a fact, not an insult or attack on people who keep single rabbits :) Like I said, I have a single rabbit myself.

The majority of rabbits do need a rabbit friend as in the wild they live in groups.
As others have said there are some rescued rabbits who for whatever reasons can NOT stand another bun and can only relax when alone. This is not common and most rescues seek to place such rabbits as house rabbits but be warned a rabbit who has a thing about fellow rabbits may also have a thing about people too.

It is possible to bring an aggresive hate all fluffies rabbit round but it takes a lot of time, care and respect for the rabbit. [Doodee destroyed carpet, walls. skirting board, doors, sofas, wallpaper and anything else she could lay her paws and teeth onto] so if you are thinking of taking on a solitary bun who needs rehoming as a houserabbit get as much info as possible from the rescue as you can so you can be sure this is the right choice for you and the bun.

If agree that if you want a single rabbit looking at whether rescues have any "unbondables" in is the best idea.

I have to agree with the earlier comment that a lone rabbit seeing people for a few hours a day is like a human seeing dogs for a few hours a day. You'll bond, you can communicate to a point, they'll provide some comfort and meet some of your needs. Overall you might be quite happy, but it just can't compare to having beings of your own species available 24 hours a day who speak your language.

I'm another who had a lone rabbit for a short time. He seemed perfectly happy (more so when we were spending time with him) and did all the happy bunny things, but we saw such a change when we bonded him with the other two. In fact, just before we bonded them we put their runs next to each other and the three of them would lie next to each other with the mesh in the middle, he'd hardly ever leave that spot and obviously wanted to be with them so badly.

Just wanted to say, have you done lots of research on keeping rabbits and guinea pigs together? The risks are huge... even if they get on they not only have different dietary requirements, but both of them carry illnesses which can be fatal to each other :(

Yes I have

The guy at the place we got them from gave us lots of advice as well as he's kept bunnies and piggies together

Last edited:
If agree that if you want a single rabbit looking at whether rescues have any "unbondables" in is the best idea.

I have to agree with the earlier comment that a lone rabbit seeing people for a few hours a day is like a human seeing dogs for a few hours a day. You'll bond, you can communicate to a point, they'll provide some comfort and meet some of your needs. Overall you might be quite happy, but it just can't compare to having beings of your own species available 24 hours a day who speak your language.

I'm another who had a lone rabbit for a short time. He seemed perfectly happy (more so when we were spending time with him) and did all the happy bunny things, but we saw such a change when we bonded him with the other two. In fact, just before we bonded them we put their runs next to each other and the three of them would lie next to each other with the mesh in the middle, he'd hardly ever leave that spot and obviously wanted to be with them so badly.

Agree with this post, we've had single rabbits before and noted a big difference in their behaviour once bonded. Unless a bunny had been deemed "unbondable" I would prefer to keep it in a pair or group.

Keeping buns with other species doesn't really offer them any benefits, only risks.

Well I originally had Boris who was on his own until he was 2. Although he seemed perfectly happy, I was worried about him being lonely so went out and got Bella. Once they were bonded I promised myself never to have a single rabbit ever again. The difference was huge! I could sit there for ages just watching them interact with one another, and although neither of them seemed miserable before I could just tell that they were a lot happier. Boris passed away a few months ago and although Bella is coping ok, she really should not be single. She's such a social bunny, she needs company and gets very destructive and frustrated when left alone for too long. I intend to find her a new friend soon but since they'd be living at my mum's I need her permission first. If it was up to me it would've happened a month ago, but she hasn't decided yet so I have to wait :(

Back