• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Weather-proofing a run roof

Amethyst

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

Bunningham Palace is coming along nicely. I have the bottom portion built (the underground warren) and am looking at the top part now. Having already solved the issue of what to put on the floor of the run to protect the wood floor (foam mats! No edges for them to nibble or pull up!), I now need to have a think about the roof.

I would like them to be able to sunbathe, but the sun can get quite intense in the spring and the late summer. Also, when it's raining lightly (it drizzles a lot here but nothing severe enough to warrant them needing to come inside) I'd like to be able to keep them dry.

The run portion is about 8ft by 5ft and sits directly above the underground warren area (which is about 2ft by 5ft and is designed to contain their hay and litter tray as well as provide a dark hidey place). I'm planning on making the run about 28"-36" high. I was thinking about putting a solid, sloped, shingle roof over the first third of the run, then leaving the other two-thirds as wire mesh. However, if it's raining or really hot and sunny I'd like extra protection.

I was thinking tarpaulin that could be stretched over, but that would be REALLY noisy when the rain hits it. Does anyone have any better ideas? Thanks so much!

AMETHYST

Clear corrugated roofing might be a good option, you could cover it with greenhouse shade netting during hot periods. Having a slopping roof would help direct rain and allow hot air to rise rather than sit under the roof. It's also worth adding guttering at the bottom of the roof so you can direct water away and/or making the roof overhang so the water doesn't run off the roof and down the sides.

Back