• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on splitting up bonded rabbits

Gus-ta-furry

Warren Scout
Hi all, wondered what your advice is on whether or not to take our two bonded rabbits to the vets together while our female Chelsea has a dental. Tommy is a complete scaredy bun, and they both get very stressed just being put in the pet carrier. As Chelsea will have a ga she will be away from Tommy for half the day I would guess (operation + recovery time) theyll be at the vets from 08.30-18.30
Not sure what's best to do by them :?

My bunnys go together for everything one had to stay in for 5 days in January but the his wifey stayed with him all the time :)

mine go everywhere together, even when Imogen spent 5 days in Cambridge I took Sebastian with her they were separated by a mesh divide down the cage so they could monitor outputs

I never split my two, always take together.

I think you have a unanimous Don't Separate vote!

I'm afraid I'm the opposite and always separated Poppy and Peter.

Poppy was always off to the vets and was not phased by it but Peter got very upset and stressed, I never had any problems putting them back together and Poppy even stayed in sometimes for an op. I think it depends on the bond, I would be more hesitant with Pixe and Peter because I feel she is more skittish and makes their bond less solid.

You probably know what's best because you know your buns and exactly how stressed Tommy gets.

When I go to the vets I only take those that need to go.

It lovely to see the greeting the bunny left at home gives the returning friend. Sometimes they are ignores and sometimes they are snuggled. x

I have known bonds to break when they have been separated for a few hours... I wouldnt risk it... either that or thebuns are very upset by it

I have always taken both bunnies to the vet, regardless whether they both need to be seen or just the one does. They will only be separated once, and that will be permanently - if you catch my drift - but hopefully not for a few years yet.

If you do separate, it's worth giving the bun that's been at the vet and rub down with their bedding before reintroducing them. The helps get rid of the nasty vet smell so they can recognise each other easier.

I always seperate them, mine find the car very stressful and I don't feel its fair to stress them unnecessarily. If an op is involved - I don't know how others manage it but I would find it incredibly difficult to check if they were eating/pooping/weeing post op if I left them with their partner. My groups/pairs are all very stable and I've never had any problems with bonds breaking down. If I have a newly bonded pair I take them together.

I always seperate them, mine find the car very stressful and I don't feel its fair to stress them unnecessarily. If an op is involved -

I don't know how others manage it but I would find it incredibly difficult to check if they were eating/pooping/weeing post op if I left them with their partner.

My groups/pairs are all very stable and I've never had any problems with bonds breaking down. If I have a newly bonded pair I take them together.

:shock: hadn't thought about that !!

we'd know if she hadn't been eating as we top up their hay with small fresh amounts 4/5 times in the evenings and give them a couple of dental/nutrition pet formula sticks
no clue how we could tell if she was pooing/weeing or not as we use a lot of hay on top of newspaper in a big box for both of them for their litter

pooping and weeing is quite important post op right ??

we'd know if she hadn't been eating as we top up their hay with small fresh amounts 4/5 times in the evenings and give them a couple of dental/nutrition pet formula sticks

None of mine have ever been very enthusiastic about hay immediately post op so its not quite as simple as topping it up. Mine always go for greens first but its almost always in their own time when I'm not looking. If the partners were there I can pretty much gaurentee there would be none left by the time the bun was ready for a nibble.

Yes pooping and weeing is really important.

If you do separate, it's worth giving the bun that's been at the vet and rub down with their bedding before reintroducing them. The helps get rid of the nasty vet smell so they can recognise each other easier.

That's very good advice

Back