• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Slug problem in rabbit hutch!

jdaisy14

New Kit
Recently there have been an increasing amount of slugs that i have found in my rabbit's cage eating her food- i have tried copper tape around the edges of the cage, mesh around the back where there are some holes to her eating area, and also have tried pet friendly slug pellets, but nothing seems to deter the slugs. I think they are getting in through my rabbit's run stairs.

Can anyone suggest something that will get rid of them!?

What and how are you feeding? :)

For example if it's the hay, you could pop that in a hanging basket style hay rack which should thwart most slugs. If it's fresh vegetables, you can get similar hanging ball style feeders you can pop it in. If it's dry food, it might be a case of you're feeding a little too much. Most rabbits will polish off dry food quickly so their bowl is empty 80% of the time and less attractive to slugs.

Is the cage/hutch on legs? Lifting it up off the floor helps reduce any dampness - again makes it less attractive and also it's a bit more complicated if they have to go up a leg to reach the food, instead of sliding straight towards it.

Back