• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Staple gun to fix mesh to frame?

tainay

Warren Scout
Hi all, my project of making Popcorn and Jelly a 3.6m by 1.2m run is going well. Finished most of the wooden frames last week so now trying to fix the mesh to the frame. I tried to fix a panel with normal U-nail and hammer and for only 8 nails it took me way too long (like at least 20mins)... Oh well I know I'm kinda weak :oops:...

Here is my question: can staple gun do this job instead of my muscle? I have my eyes on the Stanley Sharpshooter Plus Heavy Duty Staple Gun & Nailer Dark but don't know whether it will be strong enough?

Thanks for all of your help in advance and here is the finished panel (colour slightly off, should be a tinge darker) :love:

2013-06-01172527_zps029b8e49.jpg

yes,i used a cheaper electric staple gun to do my run.just use the longer length staples.even if you put more in to give peace of mind.

I've used a staple gun too and it's done the job fine :thumb: Well done by the way, the frame looks really nice and sturdy :D

I would use a combination of both, for extra protection. I can pull wire mesh off if it's only stapled to the wood, so I bet a fox could too.

Were you having trouble with holding/hammering/missing your fingers? You could try holding them in place with a pair of needle nose pliers to start them off. Easier to give them a good confident whack when your fingers aren't close by :lol:

Were you having trouble with holding/hammering/missing your fingers? You could try holding them in place with a pair of needle nose pliers to start them off. Easier to give them a good confident whack when your fingers aren't close by :lol:

That's a really good idea. I wish someone had told me that a couple of years ago! :oops: :lol:

This is what I do!

I wouldn't trust our staple gun alone tbh - we use it to staple the mesh in place just to hold it while we nail it. Maybe a more expensive gun could fire the nails? I don't know.

Also make sure you're hammering against a solid surface - I was trying for ages to build the run on the grass wondering why the nails weren't going in...:oops:

I would use a combination of both, for extra protection. I can pull wire mesh off if it's only stapled to the wood, so I bet a fox could too.

This was my first thought, we used u-shaped fixings that we (well DH!) hammered in. We also meshed on the insdie to make it harder for a fox to pull it off.

Our staple gun fires the u shaped hooks - so not really staples, if that makes sense. There's nooooo way of getting them out of ours, cos I tried, but ours is sandwiched with bolts to, just to make sure.

Our staple gun fires the u shaped hooks - so not really staples, if that makes sense. There's nooooo way of getting them out of ours, cos I tried, but ours is sandwiched with bolts to, just to make sure.

I would love to buy one that fits U nails! Do you have a link or brand so I could have a look? Thanks in advance.

Back