• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Potentially silly question about clipping bunny fur?

jazxo

Mama Doe
*Just so you know I'm not planning on doing this*

Why don't we just chop off all of our rabbits fur in the summer to keep them cool like a dog?

Is there actually a reason or is it just not generally done?

I feel silly asking but I'm curious :oops:

yep that :wave: how ever long hair breeds are sometimes trimmed, especially around their bums. I trimmed my lionheads face recently as her summer coat meant she could barely see (I'm sure she's supposed to be fluffy in the winter not the summer!)

Rabbits moult by themselves and have summer / winter coats.

But then would it not be even cooler for them to have shorter summer coats?

Dogs also moult and have summer and winter coats, as do horses, and yet both are still clipped (in fact, horses are clipped in winter, not summer, and then have to wear rugs when not working i.e. when in their stable or out in the fields).

An interesting original question I feel!

not all dogs are clipped, cats aren't either and they moult so it's a bit of a who knows question really :lol: healthy animals should be able to regulate their own temps but if they're struggling then clipping helps. Clipping long haired animals prevents issues with fly strike and mats full of grass seeds

We are planning on clipping our dog Teddy's fur some time this year as it's long-ish and gets leaves, twigs and slugs ( :mrgreen: ) in it! :wave:

I spose that man made breeds need man made solutions ie clipping in the summer...

Rabbits with the same fur length of wildies are perfectly suited to the climate here and do moult if it gets too hot or grow a thicker coat when it gets cold, I don't really see the point in clipping regular furred rabbits when you can do other things to cool them down and besides it might get very cold/windy one day and they'll of had all their fur chopped off. Personally though if I had a very long haired rabbit like an angora or cashmere lop I'd clip their fur down to a normal length if they didn't seem to be coping very well, it's more practical too, saves on having to groom them constantly

I spose it would be cos it would stress the buns out.
I do trim my lionhead's mane, as I feel sad that it can impede her feild of view.
She loves it :) sit's and tooth crunches, but I'm only using scissors, she'd freak if I used buzzing clippers :lol:

I spose it would be cos it would stress the buns out.
I do trim my lionhead's mane, as I feel sad that it can impede her feild of view.
She loves it :) sit's and tooth crunches, but I'm only using scissors, she'd freak if I used buzzing clippers :lol:

Imogen purrs too when I'm clipping her, glad to know she isn't alone :lol:

Back