Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for giving antibiotics.. U/D: a question

Alpha Buck

Default Tips for giving antibiotics.. U/D: a question

I tried syringing but it's so hard.. He won't say still!

Then put tiny bits at a time on pellets but he notices when I've put too much on and won't eat it!

Is there anything else I can try?
    Last edited by Azucena; 05-06-2013 at 09:45 AM.

You can mix with banana or onto bread. I have Nutmeg on baytril at the moment but it's 1ml which is hard to hide in food unless you use a lot of it! So i'm syringing it into her instead, what I do is I kneel on the floor with her between my knees and then pin her with my left hand to my right knee and use the other hand to syringe it in the side of her mouth. She can't move away very easily like this although I do stop halfway through to let her swallow it properly.

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    You can mix with banana or onto bread. I have Nutmeg on baytril at the moment but it's 1ml which is hard to hide in food unless you use a lot of it! So i'm syringing it into her instead, what I do is I kneel on the floor with her between my knees and then pin her with my left hand to my right knee and use the other hand to syringe it in the side of her mouth. She can't move away very easily like this although I do stop halfway through to let her swallow it properly.
    Thanks! I'll try it in banana or bread tonight.

I always worry with syringing that he'll either jumped forwards or backwards at the last minute and it'll end up on the floor!

Quote Originally Posted by Azucena View Post
    Thanks! I'll try it in banana or bread tonight.

I always worry with syringing that he'll either jumped forwards or backwards at the last minute and it'll end up on the floor!
    There is a little gap in the teeth at the sides, behind the front or incisor teeth, thats where to put the syringe, it's much easier than trying to get their mouth open! Once you have it in there gentley push the plunger, they're unlikely to move far once you've got them in that position. Just do a little, let them swallow, then a little more, etc.

Food is easier if you're giving a small amount. Nutmeg manages to sniff it out and eat round it

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Elena View Post
    There is a little gap in the teeth at the sides, behind the front or incisor teeth, thats where to put the syringe, it's much easier than trying to get their mouth open! Once you have it in there gentley push the plunger, they're unlikely to move far once you've got them in that position. Just do a little, let them swallow, then a little more, etc.

Food is easier if you're giving a small amount. Nutmeg manages to sniff it out and eat round it
    Ahh ok thanks! He gets 0.5ml so I might alternate between syringe and food.. If nothing else hopefully if I give it on food I won't be faced with such a huffy rabbit afterwards.

Is it baytril?

That stuff tastes vile! I can syringe anything that tastes nice to my rabbits but if it's baytril they go crazy and will do anything other than have it in their mouth. It's the safest antibiotic though, I just wish they'd make it taste nicer.

Try anything that has a strong taste. Some people mix a bit of Ribena with it before they syringe it.

Alpha Buck

Quote Originally Posted by Jenova View Post
    Is it baytril?

That stuff tastes vile! I can syringe anything that tastes nice to my rabbits but if it's baytril they go crazy and will do anything other than have it in their mouth. It's the safest antibiotic though, I just wish they'd make it taste nicer.

Try anything that has a strong taste. Some people mix a bit of Ribena with it before they syringe it.
    Yep it's baytril.. Humphrey hates it!
    Ok thanks! I'll get some Ribena to try too.

Mama Doe

Another vote for banana here I use a chunk of banana and use the end of the syringe to make small holes in it then fill those holes with the baytril. Mine wolf it down before they realise there is anything in it

Both my girls are on an antibiotic to prevent them from suffering from paristies that gets pasted down from mother to kitten and I have to syringe it into them for 28 days they get 2.5ml a day each and what I do is I gather there front paws and hold them whilst holding their neck and I syringe with the other hand although I do get a lot of scratches but this is how the vet told me to hold my buns so yeh
    Rabbits aren't my whole life but they do make my life whole xox

Alpha Buck

Couldn't find any Ribena but the banana trick worked really well!

Although he's done a bit of a mushy cecal.. So not sure whether that's the antibiotics, the banana, or the fact he's had a bit too many pellets today.