• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

'Cool Pets' hutches (like at Dobbies Garden Centres)

midori1999

Alpha Buck
I had a look at the hutches in Dobbies today and they had a double tier 6ft x2ft x2ft hutch. I really liked it, but I was wondering if it might be cheaper to buy online? Has anyone seen them anywhere please?

(sorry for the million and one threads by the way... :oops: )

Thanks. The make of the hutch was 'cool pets', but I can't find many hutches by the same company online, and Dobbies don't list it online. I may just go back and buy it, but thought it was worth looking online first as Dobbies are expensive.

I like what it says on their website http://www.dobbies.com/Advice/PetCare/Rabbits/C

Rabbits were first kept in hutches by the Victorians, when they were kept for meat. Although we still sue hutches today, we shouldn’t be working to Victorian standards still! A hutch should be a shelter, and never the sole or main accommodation for the rabbits, who should have access to large secure exercise area every day. Rabbits who are kept in hutches develop painful spinal deformities and brittle bones which makes them difficult to handle. Make sure you look after your rabbits properly and do not keep them confined to a hutch.

So, you will need to get a large secure hutch and run, the bigger the better!
A hutch should allow the rabbits to take 3 hops, and for an average rabbit, this will be 6 feet in length. Make sure that the hutch allows the rabbits to stretch up fully on their back legs , so it will need to be atleast 60 cms high (to avoid spinal deformities) and is also nice and deep so that the rabbits are not forced to sit right at the front of the hutch in very hot, or wet weather.

The exercise run is equally as important as the hutch, and if you make sure it is safe, you can attach it to the hutch all of the time so that they can exercise or shelter when they want. If you weather proof the run with a tarpaulin, they can make the most of it all year round.

It was £229, which I know is good value, it was quite decent quality. I just know Dobbies is overpriced... :lol:

If you think it's worth the money then go for it, but don't forget you also need a large run to attach which will add to the price. I would recommend looking at similar hutches online as I'm sure you could get the same size or bigger for less, Dobbies can be a bit of a rip off.

Thankyou for the replies.

I think this is the nearest to what I saw, except it had a flat roof and there was no seperate bedroom on the bottom, but it still had the door across the front like the picture as though there was a bedroom and there was a ramp going up to the second level so it was all one hitch on two levels, if that makes sense?

http://www.gardenwoodcraft.co.uk/ra...tch_english_giant_hutch_double_wire_doors.htm

I have a 7ft x 3.5 ft run I could attach temporarily until I got another, larger run. I just felt that having the two levels would give more room than having a single level 6ft x 2ft hitch, although I know the ramp uses some of the space.

Then again, the Happy Hutch Sykes large hutch and run isn't much more money in the scheme of things and I saw a 6ft x 4ft shed in B&Q today for £119, so I could probably get a decent sized run to attach to that for about the same money, so I just don't know what would be best.

Could you not buy a shed instead and attach your run to that?

Gives much more room and you can build extra levels into it :D

I have six rabbits, a shed 2 hutches and a walk in run. Shed every time. Its so so so much cosier for them weather proof wise and so so so much easier to clean. Also its nice to be able to go in with them.

Thanks.

I will need to have a good think about the shed. The problem is, it would need to go on the bit of patio in front of our patio doors and so if it was too tall it would block a lot of light out/be a bit of an eyesore. I've just ordered a 10ft x5ft kennel and run for my pair of rabbits, which I intended to attach the existing run to using a runaround tunnel for supervised grass access. (too worried about them digging/predators to leave unsupervised!) So I'll definitely need another run at some point fairly soon anyway. Whatever other accommodation I get would be for a new bun and hopefully a husband for her eventually.

The double storey hutch appealed to me because it would fit right up next to the fence/house and then a run could be attached on the patio, but it wouldn't block out the light or look too unsightly. Not that sheds look unsightly, it's just an odd place for it and we don't have the option to put hardstanding down elsewhere as it's an army quarter.

One of these?

396371506.jpg

I like them but I don't think I could go back to hutches now, I prefer my buns shed. The wood isn't amazing, but with the cover I think it would last. It's just bunny teeth to think about as its softer wood on the doors so if they get nibbled they might not last very long.

Thanks.

I think that's the one yes.

I'm going to give it some serious thought and the kennel and run I have ordered for my pair of bunnies will be here on the 11th June, so I can get a better idea of what the garden will look like/what else I can fit until then. New bun is here and settled in a pen in the same room as the bunnies and although I intended to keep her separate, signs so far are quite positive, so I may see how things go over the next couple of weeks and then try to bond them after all, but that obviously needs serious thought and may lead to me needing some sort of extra accommodation anyway.

I do see the appeal of sheds over hutches though.

Back