• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can rabbits eat...

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Sunflowers? The plants/leaves/flowers? Also can they eat the stems of ribwort plantain or just the leaves?

Thank you :wave:

Yes to sunflowers though the seeds are bad I think, too high in fat. Also when i gave mine some they only ate the petals. Dunno about plantain sorry!

Yes to sunflowers though the seeds are bad I think, too high in fat. Also when i gave mine some they only ate the petals. Dunno about plantain sorry!

Ok thanks I just thought I might attempt to grow some sun flowers so anything that is bunny safe and provides treats for the bunnies is a good choice!

Plantain is a very good plant to feed. Very high in fibre :wave:

Is the whole plant safe though? I feed the leaves but I always leave the stems with the seedy bit on top. Similarly I always left dandelion flowers for some reason but have started picking them a few flowers recently aswell as the leaves :D

Mostly i hear black sunflower seed are good for rabbits in low quantity. Rabbits should have these seeds regularly. I usually give mine seeds at least a couple times per week. They are rich in vitamins.
aged care community

Last edited:
It's fine to feed the stems of ribwort plantain - excellent serious fibre. The thing not to feed is the seeds at the top. They have a lot of mucilage which can swell up when it comes into contact with the digestive juices.
(It's used to make fibregel which is contraindicated in rabbits for the same reason)

Personally I never feed my buns seeds for several reasons. If you're worried about vitamins a few dandelion leaves does the trick & is much safer.;)

Back