• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

She has gone :(

How heartbreaking, I'm so sorry :cry: I know how hard it is to make the final decision. With both my cats that have died in the last few years, I booked and cancelled the final appointments so many times, that in the end they both went naturally. I just couldn't do it :cry: I really wish I had now. Thinking of you and Mona xx

How heartbreaking, I'm so sorry :cry: I know how hard it is to make the final decision. With both my cats that have died in the last few years, I booked and cancelled the final appointments so many times, that in the end they both went naturally. I just couldn't do it :cry: I really wish I had now. Thinking of you and Mona xx

I did this with one of my cats a few years ago: I think you just keep grasping at straws. I wouldn't do it again.
It is heartbreaking to have to make the decision - but it is our final act of love and duty.

Oh no this is terrible. I feel so sorry for you. You haven't been cruel at all, like you say she isn't in pain. If you had put her to sleep earlier you would always have wondered if she could have been saved. You gave her a chance and sadly she hasn't picked up.

Please don't feel guilty for giving her that chance. If you had left her hunched up in a corner in obviously pain, that is cruel, what you have done is what you think is best for her.

Good luck at the vets. Lots of hugs for you.

Please don't feel guilty: it is a very fine line between giving her every chance and feeling that you left it too long. Don't forget, they can't talk, they can't tell us how they are feeling. It does sound as though her quality of life has now decreased considerably and that dreaded time has come. I do feel for you.

Thank you everyone. I have had yet more confirmation that this is the right way to go. Her vulva and bottom are very inflamed now as she is so incontinent that everything is prone to overuse. She is on pain relief but it can't be nice either way :( We keep discovering more things wrong with her each week. As the day goes on I am coming to terms with it more. She is getting what can only be described as palliative care and I think tomorrow before she goes in for the procedure I will let her nibble a bit of chocolate biscuit. I know its naughty but given the circumstances it won't really harm her either. I just want to give her one last bit of happiness. She is everything to me, we have grown together side by side. I feel like she is often the only one who understands me. She had still born babies and when I had my miscarriage she seemed to understand and sympathize in a way no human around me could. We have lived through so much together and life only really began when I got Mona, she was my first pet and she inspired me to change my life for the better by becoming vegan and concentrating on animal rights and rescuing more rabbits. She is the the one who began it all. I'm scared of what life will be like after she is gone. She is a queen, a truly beautiful creature who has always been there for me. But now she needs me to be there for her. I didn't think it would be so hard but I will do anything for Mona. I do wish she could talk though and tell me her every desire.

Thank you for all your kind thoughts. Send them all to Mona, I am just a human, a silly emotional human. Mona is real and suffering and truly innocent, she does not deserve any of this. Tomorrow Mona will make the journey into a better world where she can be reunited with her children, her sister, nephew and nieces. She has a lot of family up there and I know they will welcome her with open paws.

Reading this thread has me in tears :cry:

It is absolutely your choice, but it does sound like you are making the right decision taking her to the vet tomorrow. I can only imagine how rotten that feels. My thoughts are with you and I pray for lots of courage, and serenity for you tomorrow. You seem to have such a special bond with Mona and I am sure she knows how you feel and how much you truly love and cherish her. Her family and friends at the bridge are smiling at her and she will feel right at home and at peace :love: x

Mona has you looking after her and devoted to her, I think shed understand us sending thoughts to you.

I think a wee bit of a chocolate biccie sounds lovely, and I wish a lovely peaceful passing if that's what is needed.
*hugs* give her some noserubs from me xxxxxxx

We asked the vet to come to the house to put our 17 and a half year old springer spaniel to sleep. She never liked going to the vet's. She died at home with all of us. Perhaps you could do that for your special girl? Vibes to you at this heart wrenching time ...

My heart is in my throat and tears are streaming reading about your dear Mona. :cry::cry::cry:
I agree that if the vet could be coaxed to make a housecall...this would be ideal for both of you. I have done that for pets who really cannot make the trip in.
I truly believe that an animal companion who has this much in common with us, and who has been with us through our good and bad days, is so deeply connected that not even death can break that bond. Try not to think of it as an end, but as a transcendence where she can truly be everywhere with you and at any time.
My Bridge dog, Shadow...he was the kind of dog who would've been happy to drop mid stride on the trail, or defending me, but he passed at our very kind vets' in peace, after weeks of illness where he could not even raise himself to a sitting position any longer and was in kidney failure as well...soaking himself, and a thin spectre of what he had been. It absolutely gutted us to have to say goodbye, but worse was how far we had let it go. I think my OH was hit even harder than I because he just couldn't say goodbye even as the vet asked if we were ready. I'd had to beg him to take him in. :cry:
That being said I feel it is not fair or helpful to yourself or the beloved friend to say, 'Oh we should've gone long before now', or 'maybe if I had just done things differently'... What is important is that you are going to give her this gift now and she will soon be restored to her young and vibrant self in the beauty and peace of Paradise.
I am so sad for you, because I know it hurts...there aren't words for how it hurts. You have all the vibes and prayers I can muster for a peaceful passing for her and comfort for you in this very, very sad time.
Bless you and (((((((((((((Huge hugs))))))))))))))) xxxx

So sorry to hear about Mona. I have also shed a tear reading this. I think you're being really strong taking the decision to give her a good passing. Mega vibes for you both.

Oh how sad. I'm so sorry.
I hope you enjoy a chocolate biscuit together. She will be forever in your heart xx

I think you've made the right decision, hard as that is. You have beautiful memories of her and her legacy will continue through you.

Thinking of you all tonight. I'd also suggest having the vet come to you if possible.x

So so heartbreaking, I am so sorry Fifibutton. Got a massive lump in my throat reading this as you can tell you love her so so much and so desperately want to do the right thing by her. I'm hoping you can sit with her this evening and tell her all the things you want to tell her to make sure she knows how loved and special she is to you. I didn't get to do this with Kenco as he passed far too suddenly, but afterwards me and my OH just sat with him telling him everything we wanted him to know about how special he was and how much he meant to us.

I am so sorry that you have to face this tomorrow, and sending you vibes of strength and my thoughts in your heartbreak, and really peaceful passing vibes for Mona. xx

Back