• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor bun owners - do you let your bun(s) have access to run overnight?

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
Mine out outdoors at the moment, they love the run and I've just put them into the hutch for the night... they're itching to get back out into the run! It's fully attached to the hutch so its secure and not going anywhere. But I'm not sure whether I feel its safe for them to be out? But then again they are in it all day while we are at work...

Do you leave your buns in their run overnight?

Yes!!

The only time I don't is when there's gale force winds out and I am frightened items in the run hit the buns......

Yes, they have 24/7 access BUT it is on hardstanding and bolted down and to their shed.
They will be out when we go to bed and when we get up. They'd hate to be shut in.

Yes!!

The only time I don't is when there's gale force winds out and I am frightened items in the run hit the buns......

:shock::shock: never thought of that :lol:

They have a large box inside the run that they can hide /sleep in, I was thinking of stuffing it full of hay and straw so they can sleep in it if they want to. Hum. I guess I'm just being an overprotective bun mum :lol:

Yes, they have 24/7 access BUT it is on hardstanding and bolted down and to their shed.
They will be out when we go to bed and when we get up. They'd hate to be shut in.

Our run isn't bolted down - not quite sure what I could bolt it to :shock: It's on concrete and it's heavy though, not sure the wind could push it! It's also bolted to the hutch and the hutch is bolted to the fence :lol: (I'm seeing a pattern here - lots of bolts.....)

i leave mine in the run overnight, its on concrete and securely fastened to the shed so safe :thumb: they are already outside when i go to let the chickens out at 5am so i think they'd be furious if they had to stay inside until i freed them!

Our run isn't bolted down - not quite sure what I could bolt it to :shock: It's on concrete and it's heavy though, not sure the wind could push it! It's also bolted to the hutch and the hutch is bolted to the fence :lol: (I'm seeing a pattern here - lots of bolts.....)

DH bolted it down into the patio, he's very thorough :lol:

I have half slabs and large stones placed round the runs... the 2 runs are screwed together..
It's been a terrible shame, the weather here has been awful so runs have had permanent tarp over them. Willow gets frightened when the tarp blows. Gale force winds due Wednesday so tarp will be off and all runs emptied on Tuesday.., I hate this country at times!,

I doubt there's much more I could do. If a fox got in, it'd be sheer luck...and a heck of a strong fox....

Ours are out all the time. Run is screwed to the shed and pegged into the ground around the slabs it sits on.

Our runs attached to the shed and the rabbits have made their own personal catflap in the shed door:evil: so they have 24/7 access to run. they are out in it at all times of the night.

They are free range during the day when we are in so today theyve been totally free for 14hours but still didnt want shutting back in the run at bedtime.

Mine have free access to indoor out door, we have the runaround system, they seem to hide in the pipe if they get frightened.:thumb:

My run is attached to the shed but I do lock them in on a night more for my own peace of mind than anything else... I seem to be the only obsessive compulsive worrier :oops:

Mine have access to their run all the time - would drive them mad if I tried to lock them in their hutch overnight.

My run is attached to the shed but I do lock them in on a night more for my own peace of mind than anything else... I seem to be the only obsessive compulsive worrier :oops:

I do the same too for peace of mind and also because my garden is not fully fenced. It is very open and living where I am; surrounded by fields and farm land I don't think its worth the risk leaving them out overnight. They don't seem to bother being shut in the shed over night as to be quite honest its not much of a small space however in the future I would like to make the runs secure enough for over night access but we will see. I Just feel a lot happier knowing they are in the shed and not having to worry about the possibility of a fox or stoat or whatever coming and eating them :thumb:

If I did have a hutch and run setup I would let them have 24/7 access.

Summer and Skye have a runaround pipe and 24/7 access. Their run is on... I want to say grass but since all the grass is gone, it is now on soil/mud depending on the weather :lol: I have meshed underneath and made sure its all secure and iv had no probs. I have foxes nearby but never had any trouble with the rabbits :thumb: Heidi and Dash r soon getting their run set up and will also have 24/7 access. I can't wait! I hate only being able to let them out on my terms. I would say make sure your run is really secure then 24/7 access will be fine and your bunnies will love u for it :wave:

Yes, mine have 24/7 access to their runs. If it's secure enough to use unattended during the day, then it should be secure enough at night. Since they're more active at dusk and dawn, that's when they need the space the most. :)

Yes, mine have 24/7 access to their runs. If it's secure enough to use unattended during the day, then it should be secure enough at night. Since they're more active at dusk and dawn, that's when they need the space the most. :)

Exactly what I think.

Interesting to get everyone's views :wave: OH's reasoning is now 'what if it rains, they'll get wet' :roll: so I said we'll get a cover to put on the top overnight! :lol:

Interesting to get everyone's views :wave: OH's reasoning is now 'what if it rains, they'll get wet' :roll: so I said we'll get a cover to put on the top overnight! :lol:

I've certainly known mine sit out in the rain rather than go back into their hutch, but I find that the little raincoats with attached hoods keep them pretty dry.

Back