• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed please post 7

bunslave

Mama Doe
Just setting off to the vets now. Cheeky bun has been receiving meds for an ear infection. She's now losing her balance and I've just felt a lump under her ear whilst giving her her meds :-(
Any advice? She's on baytril in the ear and metacam.

Last edited:
Just setting off to the vets now. Cheeky bun has been receiving meds for an ear infection. She's now losing her balance and I've just felt a lump under her ear whilst giving her her meds :-(
Any advice? She's on baytril in the ear and metacam.

Sounds as though the infection has now spread into her MIDDLE EAR (Otitis Media) which is effecting her 'balance mechanism'. There is probably an abscess in there which is what the lump you can feel indicates.

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

Her ear drum is no doubt perforated, so the Vet will need to be extremely cautious about what is put directly into the ear canal

Just back. We are going to see Aiden at Ashleigh vets in Manchester at 3 today. My vet thinks it is an abscess :(
Thank you Kermit and Jane xx Will read them now Jane thank you. Just need to plan my route as I don't do sat navs and panic going to new places. Update later.

Last edited:
Oh man, was really hoping it wasn't an abscess. I hate them!

Vibes that you have caught it early and the meds get shot of it quick smart xx

Oh, and vibes that you make it there without any hiccups.....just leave extra time for wrong turns!

Well Cheeky's had a head x ray and it's not an abscess :D
It's a build up of wax. Aiden has managed to squeeze some out :shock: Her ear drum is still intact :D but she has got a middle ear infection. So she'll be on a 3 month course of abx and metacam. Just going to pick her up now :D :D

So my little girl is on daily ceporex injections and metacam. I've confined her to a pen because of her head tilt and balance issues. She is pooing and weeing but not eating pellets or hay but is eating herbs, greens, dried leaves and fenugreek crunchies. I'm just about to do a hay expert order and wondered about a probiotic. Should I get avipro + or is there anything else I need to help her?
Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm feeling a bit lost and alone here.

I have used both bio lapis and avipro, avipro must taste better as was prefered! L!!ml
Why not order a selection of hay to temp her on!

I've got 5 different hays here now and just ordered some ings as well. :D Was also going to get the Burns oat hay ...Think my order is at about £40 now :shock: :)

Sounds like the wee patient is getting spoiled rotten by mummy!

Glad that it is not an abscess and really hope the ear infection clears up quickly x

Thank you guys :wave: :love:
Feeling a bit more confident now as I managed to do her injection and get a lump of wax out of her ear. And! I caught her eating hay and pellets :) Little mare is playing me :roll:

Back