Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pato has mucoid enteritis, please help me..

Default Pato has mucoid enteritis, please help me..

Hi to everyone! I'm an italian girl so i'm sorry for my bad english!
    I am quite desperate, so i found this forum where someone had experience with this ill. For my bad english it's very difficult to find the answers to my questions only reading so please help me even if you already talk about this.
    I'll tell you the Pato's story: he's a 6 yo bunny, sterilized and since childhood has always had intestinal problems but not serious (meteorism, slight constipation). He's always been delicate but has always eaten a lot, had some good poo. At August was operated to the teeth (extracted last molar on the right) because he chewed bad and the poo were not nice rounded.Since then things improved but at the end of October I found a lot of liquid in the room! This liquid comes from cecos because only comes out when he's eating ciecotrofi(the poo that bunnies eat). My vet gave me a cure: DEFLAMON and Questran for 20 days. She diagnosed mucoid enteritis in fact sometimes he's left poo with mucus. After the treatment seemed settled and I started to give him vegetables, but two weeks ago continues to remake the liquid until yesterday it has done so much as the beginning. When I touch him I feel the CECOS swollen and hard at times when makes the liquid, when is normal is swollen and it seems there is water inside. The belly is swollen, has a lot of gas, the poo is irregular but solid. Sometimes it happens that leaves even the mucus and ciecotrofi. We did rx abdomen, visits, tried Mylicon (simethicone) but it seems that only care deflamon (Metronidazole) and Questran are effective. We did the bacteriological examination of poo and wait for the results on Monday. In the meantime, I wanted to know if anyone had the same experience so maybe you can tell me his story and care that he did.
    Oh I forget to tell that Pato lives in house, he has his room with his partner Pallina!

Thank you for your answer, if you don't understand something please tell me
    xoxo

ps: this photos are the poo and the liquid (is like coffee)
    http://mayanatsume.altervista.org/Pato2.JPG
    http://mayanatsume.altervista.org/pato1.JPG
    http://mayanatsume.altervista.org/DSC00692.JPG
    http://mayanatsume.altervista.org/28122012305.jpg
    Last edited by Asuka; 17-02-2013 at 12:47 PM.

Does your bunny eat lots of hay , if I give 2 of my bunnys veg they get soft poos so I only feed mine minimal pellets tons of hay 24/7 , and fresh herbs every other day

In Memory Of My Gorgeous Bridge Bunnys Scratch,George,Lily,Dudley,And Now My Little Smudge Gone But NEVER Forgotten xxxxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by wendle View Post
    Does your bunny eat lots of hay , if I give 2 of my bunnys veg they get soft poos so I only feed mine minimal pellets tons of hay 24/7 , and fresh herbs every other day
    Yes Pato eats a lots of hay of various types (raff piemont, oxbow, natural pet)! Then I fedd him with pellet (oxbow) but for the moment I had to delete the veg 'cause with the belly full of gas there is a risk that it ferments .. but the poos are nice though irregular I put photos so you can see them!

The pictures where there is the mucus or the liquid (which is not diarrhea) are those of November ..

Hi,my old bunnies poos look just like the ones in your picture.I took a poo sample to the vets and she has been diagnosed with coccidiosis.We are treating her with a drug called septrin.If your rabbit does have this parasite you will need to clean everywhere he has been very thoroughly,preferably with a steam cleaner.All poos need to be picked up asap,bedding changed daily and food bowels elevated off the floor.There is another condition called mega colon which gives a bunny splatty poos.There is a member on here called thumps_ who will be able to advise you in this condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Maizey View Post
    Hi,my old bunnies poos look just like the ones in your picture.I took a poo sample to the vets and she has been diagnosed with coccidiosis.We are treating her with a drug called septrin.If your rabbit does have this parasite you will need to clean everywhere he has been very thoroughly,preferably with a steam cleaner.All poos need to be picked up asap,bedding changed daily and food bowels elevated off the floor.There is another condition called mega colon which gives a bunny splatty poos.There is a member on here called thumps_ who will be able to advise you in this condition.
    We have made an examination of coccidia immediately as soon as the problem occurred and was negative .. We also did blood tests before the operation to the teeth and it was alright. I read a little about the mega colon and although there are common symptoms (poos) I don't think is that .. Pato is not a hothot, is a cross similar to a Dutch ..it's unlikely. However, I'll ask to that person!
    Thank you very much!! All you are very kind!

Wise Old Thumper

I have a Rabbit who had a similar problem. All tests came back 'normal' and in the end he was treated for an Inflammatory bowel condition. He was prescribed Sulfasalazine (Salazopyrin)

http://drugs.webmd.boots.com/drugs/d...isTicTac=False

After just 2 weeks of treatment his symptoms resolved. He was on treatment for a further 2 weeks and he has been fine ever since. No more problems with his guts for over 4 years.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Wise Old Thumper

Hello, & welcome to RU
    I am so sorry to hear that Pato is ill.
    Your English is very good. I think that it's very difficult to translate the different words we use for rabbits & their illness.

I have replied to your pm.

For the benefit of other readers, I happen to have heard of a vet in Italy who is respected throughout Europe for his knowledge of rabbit illness. (An Italian Francis Harcourt Brown)
    Between us Asuka & I are trying to find out how her own vet can contact him when the results are back.

Please keep us informed about all that happens to Pato & how he is.
    We are all here to support you through this difficult time. We also learn from each other, so we can help more people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    I have a Rabbit who had a similar problem. All tests came back 'normal' and in the end he was treated for an Inflammatory bowel condition. He was prescribed Sulfasalazine (Salazopyrin)

http://drugs.webmd.boots.com/drugs/d...isTicTac=False

After just 2 weeks of treatment his symptoms resolved. He was on treatment for a further 2 weeks and he has been fine ever since. No more problems with his guts for over 4 years.
    Is infiammatory bowel condition different from enteritis? I don't find anything specific about it! Thank you, I'll tell it to my vet! Can you tell me more about your rabbit's problem? Sorry i don't wanna be rude but you are the FIRST that say 'a similar problem' and believe me i searched everywhere in Italy! Even my vet never saw a similiar problem and she's very good and up to date.. If you don't want don't worry, I'll understand!

Quote Originally Posted by thumps_ View Post
    Hello, & welcome to RU
    I am so sorry to hear that Pato is ill.
    Your English is very good. I think that it's very difficult to translate the different words we use for rabbits & their illness.

I have replied to your pm.

For the benefit of other readers, I happen to have heard of a vet in Italy who is respected throughout Europe for his knowledge of rabbit illness. (An Italian Francis Harcourt Brown)
    Between us Asuka & I are trying to find out how her own vet can contact him when the results are back.

Please keep us informed about all that happens to Pato & how he is.
    We are all here to support you through this difficult time. We also learn from each other, so we can help more people.
    Thank you for the welcome, i'm really happy to find this forum! Really it is about google who help me to translate some phrases and terms because is really hard to write and translate about it
    But is positive because you can help me to migliorare my english for the english exam on university (i'll do on may) ahahaha!
    Ok when I'll have the results i'll tell you what will be the situation and the cure.. I hope, really much, that we find something because is hard. Pato is a fighter and my big Love All you are very kind to answer to me and help me!
    Really thank you!

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Asuka View Post
    Is infiammatory bowel condition different from enteritis? I don't find anything specific about it! Thank you, I'll tell it to my vet! Can you tell me more about your rabbit's problem? Sorry i don't wanna be rude but you are the FIRST that say 'a similar problem' and believe me i searched everywhere in Italy! Even my vet never saw a similiar problem and she's very good and up to date.. If you don't want don't worry, I'll understand!
    Harry (the effected Rabbit) presented with constant mucus covered soft feces. He was not off his food, he maintained his weight and abdominal examination gave no signs of pain, just very 'fluidy' feeling. He had blood tests and fecal analysis. All of which gave no indication of any problem except that I think one of the blood tests showed signs of an 'inflammatory condition'.

He was treated for Coccidiosis anyway as false negatives can occur with fecal analysis. But the problem persisted. Trying the Salazopyrin was a last resort really as we had run out of options to try to help him. To be honest neither me or my Vet were that confident that it would help, we were both very relieved that it did as poor Harry, whilst OK within himself, was constantly covered in runny poo. I had to clean him up several times a day and he began to get very fed up with it all. Also, at the time he was still entire as we could not risk a GA to neuter him when his guts were such a mess. We were concerned that when he was neutered the gut problem may flare up again. But it didn't. Mind you Harry managed to get himself into even more trouble a few weeks after being neutered by sustaining a compound fracture of his femur resulting in a hind leg amputation. Despite all of this his gut problems did not return. Hopefully they never will, but obviously no-one can say for sure.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!