• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have the corner double indoor cage?

sarattie

Alpha Buck
I am considering changing to a corner shaped indoor cage to suit our new room.

I can only see one available on the Maket by little friends, you can see lots of them on eBay.

I don't think I would have it as double storey as my chunky bun isn't that nimble
It's only used as a base and litter tray mainly but does get shut when we are asleep (11/12-6am)

Does anyone have one on he or had any experience of these in the past?

I was considering getting the next size up dog crate to mine but because of the space it is in the door won't open and the side door is the wrong end....

Thanks

To be honest, those cages are too small unless you attached a pen onto it, even for an overnight base. Can't you just use your dog crate as a base?:wave:

I always find they are very expensive for the size and quality. You be much better off have a dog crate as a base :D

I did say in my post I was considering getting the next sized dog crate as I want the bigger one, but would mean that the doors are able to open.

The floor space would be the same A metre square but would give me better access ( or bun better in out access)

I am trying to find someone who has used one... So far I can only find good reviews but I want to reduce it to one level

Unless I want to move him into a room where we are not, I cannot use a crate as the door won't swing opens and the end door it is the wrong end... I can't really have it upside down! :)

Have you considered using a C&C cage? Then you could build it to the exact shape you need :thumb:.

I had one of these years ago when I had my first indoor bun. If I'm honest I didn't like them.

And dimensions wise and position the corner one fits perfectly -practically made to measure...... I just need advice on quality and access etc.... Praps I need to find somewhere with them in stock to try out...

They are too small for overnight use, they don't meet the minimum size needed as stated by the RSPCA and RWAF: 6ftx2ft which is 12sqft.

I'm sure if you really wanted, you could move the rest of the furniture in the room around, or move him to a different room. Sometimes we have to make sacrifices (albeit in this case only a tiny one) so that our pets are kept correctly.

There are no dog crates that meet that either...? And I'm pretty sure most (not mine!) hutches are not that size either.... Praps I'll stick them outside at night in thier hutch.

There are no dog crates that meet that either...? And I'm pretty sure most (not mine!) hutches are not that size either.... Praps I'll stick them outside at night in thier hutch.

I expect someone else will type this as I do, but you can't have them indoors during the day then put them out at night, the temperature change is too extreme except for in summer and can therefore lead to health problems. The buns either need to be indoors OR outdoors, they can't take off their coats like we can.

I use an outdoors hutch as an indoors base, it doesn't look as wonderful as a purpose-built indoors one, but it does work, could it be an option for you? The roof is strong enough to put things on top of then too which is an advantage over any indoors cage. :thumb:

ETA: You say your hutch isn't that big either, have you looked on eBay or in the Friday ad, in my local area there's a huge double 6ft hutch for sale for £90 this week, quite a bargain, so they are out there and available for not too much money.

You're right, a lot of hutches are designed far too small and do not meet the welfare guidelines. Here are the welfare guidelines: http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

A lot of dog crates are too small as well, but you can get ones as big or bigger than that - I had a friend who had one that looked about 9ftx3ft. 4ftx3ft ones would meet the overall square footage of 12sqft, and some people use these, but it does not meet the guideline that the rabbit needs to be able to do 3 hops in a straight line - for the average rabbit 3 hops is 6-7ft. So bigger is better. Most people attach a pen to the crate, as this can be put on at night when the rabbit is confined and then removed when the rabbit is free-range when you are there, so then it doesn't take away any of the space in the room from yourselves.

Edit: Have you seen these? A 2 panel by 1 panel pen like shown would give enough space for overnight, being a bit bigger than a 6x2 hutch. Yes, it would require some moving about of furniture to make space for it, but the end result would be something that looks a lot better in the room, and it will be good for your bun's health too. (Rabbits kept in too-small spaces often develop health and behavioural problems.) It will give him a bit more space when he needs it, as rabbits are much more active in the evening, night and wee hours of the morning, so this is when space is most important. I know it is bigger than you wanted but it looks so much nicer and will be much better for him. You can also choose where you want the door panel to go, so that would solve that problem. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.309266595853006.68615.274922292620770&type=3 When I move, I'll be getting a bigger version of the one shown for my buns, as it looks fantastic.

Last edited:
Have you thought about bunny proofing your room, and then you don't need a cage just a litter tray and put your TV wires in a "cage" instead. Your buns will be so much happier to have extra space at night.

I have two buns in the living room/dining room as all my wires are behind/inside furniture or sheets of hardboard. I also have two buns in the kitchen since the quad split into two pairs :lol:

They each have an underbed storage box as a litter tray which is great as there are no doors to open or close! :thumb:

edited to say, pebbles also has the run of my bedroom now as well when I feed him seperately to Poppy...again, all wires are well protected behind solid wooden furniture that he can't get behind.

Last edited:
Sorry, ive missed a lot of history...

I have always had a free range house bun (for about 20 years now). So my house is already bunny proofed. george (profile pic) my latest rescued house bun was sadly PTS this week, and not wanting to get a replacement (they were not bonded or bondable!!) I decided to swap out door for indoor. My outdoor hutch is a ryedale 3 storey 5ft hutch so I dont think I need to extend that. I just feel that a more stimulting quality of life would be free ranging in the house with a comfort base (as Ive always had) and hop round with us.

I looked at the 4ft indoor cages but the actual cubic feet floor space on this was bigger. (single storey for extra height rather than the stupid ramps and pokey holes they add)

I think I may add my puppy pen at night - Im not totally happy them completely let lose at night. I leave them in a puppy pen if we go out so can see the difference to do this at night....

Ive measure measured and measured and the floor space is pretty good and so as I cant find anything out about the actual cages themselves Im going to chance it and leave my own reviews!

What did your previous housebun live in, then? Or was he completely free-range? Could this bun not be, or could you not move the hutch indoors?

He was free range with a large dog crate as a base. same set up as im having now. but the corner offers more practical base space.

I don't really live in the type of mansion that would accommodate a 5ft x 5ft x 2.5ft hutch I'm afraid.... lol

Theres a photo of Georges olg base on here already somewhere.....

here it is....
318795_10151095923331994_312002209_n.jpg

He was free range with a large dog crate as a base. same set up as im having now. but the corner offers more practical base space.

I don't really live in the type of mansion that would accommodate a 5ft x 5ft x 2.5ft hutch I'm afraid.... lol

Theres a photo of Georges olg base on here already somewhere.....

here it is....
318795_10151095923331994_312002209_n.jpg

Me neither, hence why mine are free range bunnies. :)

Back