• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Muesli based diets - new research

Actually, I'm surprised such a small number was used, I get what your saying about rabbit being seen as less important, but at the same time they are cheaper and more easily kept for studies compared to dogs and cats.

True, I hadn't looked at it that way round :thumb:

I agree there should have been a pellet-only group. However, how about if we ignore the existence of the muesli only group for a moment? The study still indicates (okay doesn't prove but still indicates) that health problems are more likely to occur in a rabbit eating 60g of muesli with unlimited hay than a rabbit eating 50g pellets and unlimited hay.

I find the dental problems in particular very interesting and I wonder what the reason is, perhaps as Thumps suggested dental health is linked to the gut health, and therefore a diet lower in fibre (as mueslis are not above 14%) has a negative impact on the digestion (as indicated by the study as well) and then this has a knock-on effect on the teeth - that is just a speculation of course, but there must be a reason for the muesli rabbits to have teeth in worse shape. Or perhaps that extra 10g made all the difference or the shape of the pellets help dental wear. I imagine we'll find out the reason for the difference in portion size, albeit only about a tablespoon, when the study comes out.

Sample size has been a problem in most rabbit studies I have read, I wonder if it is for a reason other than cost, or simply cost :?

I got the info about caecal bacteria & dental health from Neil Forbes, Principal of the European zoological college.
His main strength is avian medicine & lameness in horses. Apparently laminitis can also be caused by poor gut health. (I was intrigued that bacterial toxins could act in such a localised way to increase small blood vessel proliferation.) However a link with rabbit dental issues still remains unproven.
But yes I think that hay works by improving digestive health.
There's a problem with the fibre in all synthetic feeds too. They rarely stipulate the fibre size which is critical for digestive health. Goodness it's about 5 years since I looked into this. :shock: Much of the fibre in synthetic foods was too small to aid gut motility. I suppose it diluted the concentrated nutrients though.

It's purely anecdotal, but on 2 occasions Thumper managed to improve chronic caecal hypomotility & chronic dysbiosis with blackthorn leaves. He managed to go 6 weeks between dentals rather than his usual 4 weeks. Obviously other factors could explain this - mainly that with improved dysbiosis, general gut motility improved & he could manage to eat & drink more/24 hours. It's one of those things where I would like to see a repeating pattern of 8-9 cases before I even considered throwing the idea out for research.

I couldn't agree with you more about sample size. Whatever the results, they're simply not statistically valid on the basis of sample size = meaningless. This angers me beyond belief. Why do it if you know in advance that the results will be totally invalid?

Back